General Advertising Procedure
In accordance with Op1.01 Commercial Advertising, Sales, Solicitation and Facilities Usage Policy, the tangible display of advertisements within university facilities, or affixed to university structures, shall be done in a manner consistent with that policy and the procedures set forth herein for University affiliated groups and individuals.
Events sponsored by a college or department, and associated with the mission(s) of that organization, may be advertised by use of standard-sized sandwich board, bulletin board, pop up and temporary banners, or easel according to specifications established by the Vice President for Administration and Finance. Advertisements should be placed either outside the main entrance or inside the lobby of the building, and are subject to the approval of the Dean of the College or Director of the facility in question. Such advertising shall extend for a period of no longer than two (2) weeks. Yard signs may also be utilized for advertising for a period of no longer than one (1) week and are subject to approval of Facilities Management.
General procedures and parameters for bulletin board posting include the following:
- Posted materials are usually limited to a maximum size of eleven (11) inches by seventeen (17) inches (exceptions to this limitation must be specifically requested), and must include the name of the responsible party and a visible expiration date.
- One flier may be hung on each bulletin board, per event.
- Outdated materials are to be removed by the sponsoring organization. Academic departments, administrative offices, and others as assigned by Administrative Services, have the right to remove outdated material without contacting the sponsoring organization.
- Individuals or organizations not affiliated with the University may only post in the Plaster Student Union and must bring posting materials to the Plaster Student Union Information Desk, located on the second floor, to be stamped.
- Posting of materials in residence halls must be posted by Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services. Those who wish to have items posted must take their posters to the administrative offices in Hammons House, 1001 E. Harrison, for approval and posting or distribution by Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services Staff.
Items posted on bulletin boards in violation of this procedure will be removed by Academic departments, administrative offices, and others as assigned by Administrative Services, without contacting the sponsoring organization.
Yard signs shall include any signs that are mounted on a stake, post, wire frame, or some other mounting means that is driven into the ground or otherwise installed in lawn or landscaped areas. Yard signs include signs such as feather signs; wire frame signs; signs mounted to wood, metal, plastic or other types of stakes; placards; bandit signs; inflatable signs or decorations, etc.
Departments/Organizations desiring to advertise using yard signs are subject to the following criteria:
- Yard signs may be utilized for advertising as well as temporary signage, subject to approval of Facilities Management. To request approval for yard signs, contact Work Management at 417-836-8400 or enter a work request online.
- Facilities Management must be contacted a minimum of five (5) working days in advance of placing yard signs to allow for approval of the suggested location(s) and to allow for the location of utilities.
- Approval must be given by Facilities Management in advance of placing any signs.
- Yard signs shall be placed on campus no more than one (1) week prior to the event, and must be taken down within twenty-four (24) hours of the conclusion of the event and may not be installed on a recurring basis.
- The sign message shall indicate the name of the registered student organization, athletic team, or entity (as well as valid MSU office contact information) on whose behalf the announcement is posted and the date posted.
Yard signs must be for finite events (events that have a starting time and ending time). Yard signs shall be placed so as not to interfere with pedestrian traffic, vehicular traffic or interfere with grounds maintenance procedures and operations. Sponsoring organizations shall be mindful that yard signs must not detract from an aesthetically pleasing appearance for the campus, and organizations shall be respectful and avoid any appearance of clutter. Yard signs shall not be placed in garden beds or landscape beds nor shall they be mounted to trees and other plantings, light posts, building surfaces, benches, other outdoor features, etc. The entity or person placing the signs is responsible for any damages to irrigation and underground utilities caused by the installation of yard signs.
The sponsoring organization shall ensure that the content of the sign is in accordance with university policies. Failure to observe and follow these procedures will result in sign removal, and possible loss of future privileges. Gross violations or repeated violation may result in appropriate sanctions being imposed on the entity or person responsible for placing the signs.
Sandwich Boards, Pop Up and Temporary Banners and Easels
For student organization sponsored events, standard-sized sandwich boards, pop up and temporary banners and/or easels to promote campus-wide events will be limited to large recognized events/functions such as Student Government Association (SGA) elections and Homecoming. All advertising must be approved in advance by SGA or Homecoming Committee and the Director of Plaster Student Union or the Director of Facilities Management, no less than two (2) weeks in advance of the event. Such large event sandwich boards, pop up and temporary banners and/or easels shall be located at designated locations included herein.
Plaster Student Union Advertisement Locations
Plaster Student Union provides limited space for sales and solicitation by non-university groups and individuals. However, such space must be reserved through the Event and Meeting Services Office, who should be contacted by phone at 417-836-5653. Appropriate locations inside Plaster Student Union for standard-sized sandwich boards, pop up and temporary banners and/or easels include:
- The first floor by the southeast entrance.
- The second floor by the northeast entrance.
- The third floor at the top of staircase, next to the pillar.
Advertisement within Plaster Student Union must be reserved through Event and Meeting Services, and are subject to approval by the Director of Plaster Student Union and/or the designee. Additionally, advertisement reservations may not last longer than two (2) weeks, and may not be made on a recurring basis. Advertisement displays should conform to standard sizes and not hinder the flow of traffic within the facility, nor block existing signage. Departments/Organizations, who have a room reservation, may use a pop up banner outside the room to promote their department/organization for the duration of the event only.
Due to the role of the Plaster Student Union as a meeting-service facility, the Student Union may utilize two (2) standard-sized sandwich boards on a regular basis, limited to advertising of University meetings, events, and services, and subject to the approval of the Director of Plaster Student Union. Advertisements must also be consistent with University rules and policies.
Given its role on Missouri State’s campus, the Plaster Student Union retains the right to use advertisement methods elsewhere within the facility to support its own internal operations (i.e. Student Activities Council, Traditions Council, Office of Student Engagement, PSU Vendors).
Campus-wide Outdoor Sandwich Board Locations
Additionally, standard-sized sandwich boards may be utilized at the following designated locations:
- Four (4) at the West Mall area (between Carrington and Strong Hall).
- Two (2) on the North Mall (between Plaster Student Union and Bear Boulevard).
- Two (2) on the Carrington Mall (between the Circle Drive and Plaster Student Union).
Sandwich boards must be reserved through the Event and Meeting Services Office, and may only be reserved for a three (3) day time period. These sandwich boards may be utilized by registered student/university organizations for the purpose of event promotion. Placement of sandwich boards must not restrict pedestrian flow, nor create a risk for people with disabilities.
Due to the role of the Bookstore to promote and make available retail goods and services for the campus community, product-related banners and standard-sized sandwich boards are permitted. Such exterior advertising methods are limited to the front entrance and patio area of the bookstore, and directly adjacent to temporary satellite locations that may be used on the campus.
Temporary Banners may be hung during Student Government (SGA) elections and Homecoming activities at outdoor locations. General procedures and parameters for temporary banners include the following:
- Temporary banners are subject to the approval of the Director of Facilities Management and/or the designee.
- To request approval of temporary banners, contact Work Management at 417-836-8400 or enter a work request online.
- Temporary banners shall be limited to the following designated locations:
Fencing north of Plaster Stadium.
Fencing adjacent to Greenwood Laboratory School.
Fencing at Betty and Bobby Allison Fields.
- Approval must be given by Facilities Management in advance of hanging temporary banners.
- Temporary banners may be in place no longer that two (2) weeks, and may not be re-hung if the banner detaches from the location it is to be hung from.
- Banner removal must include the removal of all fastening materials including, but not limited to, zip ties or duct tape.