Tornado/Severe weather watch
When a watch is issued by the National Weather Service it will be received on all Weather Alert Radio systems located in key facilities/offices on campus. Upon hearing the announcements of a watch, each building coordinator will be responsible for notifying all the departments, staff, and faculty in the building. These guidelines should be followed for day classes. The notification will include the following information/instructions:
- University is under a Tornado/Severe Weather Watch
- Time the watch expires
- Normal routing will not be interrupted unless a tornado or dangerous severe weather warning is issued.
- If the weather radio or outside sirens sound indicating a tornado warning for Greene County, proceed immediately to nearest designated tornado shelter in your building.
- For Evening Classes: Normal routine will not be interrupted unless a TORNADO or DANGEROUS SEVERE WEATHER WARNING is issued. If the sirens are activated faculty, staff, and students, and others will follow the SEVERE WEATHER WARNING procedures listed below.
Tornado/Severe weather warning
When a tornado or a dangerous severe weather warning issued by the National Weather Service, the sirens will be activated. Upon hearing the sirens, all individuals on campus will proceed to the nearest designated shelter area in the building where they are located. Shelter areas depend on your location at the time of the warning.
If you are in a building, stay in that building and go to the nearest designated shelter area. If you are outside, immediately enter the nearest building and proceed to the nearest designated shelter area.
- Faculty members/supervisory personnel will:
- Direct occupants to proceed in a quick and orderly manner to the nearest designated shelter area in the building.
- Instruct occupants not to leave the building.
- Turn off all lights and electronic equipment in the room.
- Provide assistance to persons with disabilities.
- Accompany occupants to the nearest designated shelter area in the building.
- Occupants will:
- Proceed to the nearest designated shelter area in the building by the closest route.
- Move quickly but in an orderly manner so that all may arrive safely.
- Take a seat in the shelter area.
- Remain cooperative with those in charge.
- Residence hall residents:
- Follow the specific residence hall guidelines for a tornado or dangerous severe weather storm warning.
Trouble areas/places to avoid
- All outside walls, elevators, and windows of buildings.