The Academic Advisement Center proudly presents the Master Advisor Training Program at Missouri State University. Developed in the Spring Semester of 1996, the program has enjoyed much success including support from the president of the University, Clif Smart, who signs a certificate, which is presented by a representative from the Office of the Provost, designating each participant who completes the training program as a "Master Advisor."
The Master Advisor Training Program received recognition by the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) in 1997 as an Outstanding Advising Program at the NACADA Annual Conference in Kansas City, Missouri.
Over 800 faculty and staff advisors have been awarded the Master Advisor certificate since the program's inception. 75% of our students are being advised by Master Advisors.
We offer four types of academic advising workshops:
- Advising Basics Workshops for new faculty and staff advisors as a precursor to the Master Advisor Workshop. Certificates are not awarded for this workshop.
- The Master Advisor Workshop is the award winning advisor training workshop. Faculty and staff advisors who complete the Master Advisor Workshop receive framed certificates.
- Refresher Workshops for Master Advisor Recertification.
- Advising Support Workshops for departmental support personnel who regularly see students. Certificates are not awarded for this workshop.
Master Advisor Workshops
September 2013 and January 2014 (registration deadline for these workshops is December 12 at 5 p.m.)
- Advising Basics, Friday, September 13,1:00 to 4:00 PM, PSU 315
- Advising Basics, Monday, January 6, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. in PSU 314
- Master Advisor Workshop, Monday, January 6, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. in PSU 315, and Tuesday, January 7, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in PSU 315
Registration required at /www.missouristate.edu/advising/42540.htm.
This is a two day workshop.
- The first morning consists of the Advising Basics Workshop intended for those faculty and staff advisors who have not previously attended an advising workshop. This workshop is from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- The Advising Basics Workshop provides Information designed for those who are new to advising or to Missouri State. Note: registration priority is given to those with assigned advisees.
- The first afternoon and second day consist of the Master Advisor Workshop intended for those faculty and staff advisors who have already attended the Advising Basics Workshop or who are familiar with the information covered in the Advising Basics Workshop.
- The Master Advisor Workshop provides comprehensive examination of advising information and topics.Note: registration priority is given to those with assigned advisees.
There is a fee applied to all staff and faculty advisors attending from other institutions. For more information, please contact Kathy Davis at 417-836-5258, or KathyDavis@MissouriState.edu.
Lunch is provided on the second day of the Master Advisor Workshop. Please pay attention to the deadline dates.
Boots to Books: Advising and Teaching Veterans
Friday, October 18 or Tuesday, October 29, 2013, 9:00 to 12:00 Plaster Student Ballroom East
The Department of Veterans Affairs indicates that enrollment of veterans in college has increased 16-fold and well over 500,000 veterans have traded in their uniforms for text books. With the development of the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan coming to an end, colleges across the state see dramatic increases of veterans attending classes. At Missouri State University we've developed the Veteran Student Services office to meet the growing demands of this exceptional group of students. In this session, learn about unique needs of student-veterans, discuss ways we can engage, encourage and empower our student-veterans and hear from current student-veterans about their personal transition and experiences. Jenifer Kautzman from Veteran Student Services will facilitate.We have room for up to 50 participants in each workshop and registration is required.
The Boots to Books workshop is co-sponsored by Veteran Student Services and the Academic Advisement Center. For Master Advisors, participation in one of these workshops would complete recertification requirements for a full academic year.
For more information regarding the advising workshops please contact:
Kathy J. Davis, Director
Academic Advisement Center
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO 65897