Frequently Asked Questions
- How does it work?
- Is there a charge for subscribing?
- How do I update my preferences?
- Why do I keep receiving a confirm notification email?
- When I try to add a phone number for a voice call alert it won’t work, why?
- Will my contact information be shared with other university systems or third parties?
- I received a notification. Where can I find more details?
- How do I opt out of Missouri State Alert?
- What numbers and addresses will send the Missouri State Alert notifications?
- Will Missouri State test the system? How will I know what is a test?
How does it work?
During an urgent situation, the system will cycle through contacts listed for your account to deliver the alert.
Is there a charge for subscribing?
No, but you are responsible for the fees associated with receiving messages on phones and computers.
How do I update my preferences?
If you are a faculty, staff or student, you can update them through My Missouri State (Springfield) or My Grizzly Den (West Plains).
If you have public access, update them through the open access portal.
You can choose between text messages, calls or emails. You can add multiple phone numbers and email addresses. We recommend you use direct contact information, like a cell phone number.
Why do I keep receiving a confirm notification email?
Due to a recent system update to the Missouri State Alert system, members of the campus community are receiving emails asking them to "confirm notification preference." These emails will continue to send until confirmed.
- Please click on "Update Subscription Preferences"
- Login with your BearPass ID & password
- To confirm preferences, there are a few pages in the process and you can advance by clicking "next" in the bottom right corner after confirming information on each page
- Once confirmed, you will return to the preferences home screen
If you have any questions, please contact Carrie Stephens at firstname.lastname@example.org
When I try to add a phone number for a voice call alert it won’t work, why?
When you enter a phone number for a voice call alert, you can not include any parentheses or dashes. Only include numbers. For example, you could input your phone number as 417-836-5000.
Will my contact information be shared with other university systems or third parties?
No, your contact information is only used by this system to send urgent notifications.
I received a notification. Where can I find more details?
Follow-up information is on University Status or the West Plains homepage.
How do I opt out of Missouri State Alert?
We strongly recommend that you don’t opt out of all messages. To opt out, you may reply “STOP” when you receive an alert. Opting out of text messages does not stop you from receiving alerts by email or phone call.
What numbers and addresses will send the Missouri State Alert notifications?
- 417-836-8999 (Springfield Campus)
- 417-255-8075 (West Plains Campus)
Text messages: 89361
- Safety@MissouriState.edu (Springfield Campus)
- WPUnivComm@MissouriState.edu (West Plains Campus)
If you use email, add the above email address to your safe senders list in your email client. This will ensure the alert messages don't end up in your junk email folder.
Will Missouri State test the system? How will I know what is a test?
The university strives to test the Missouri State Alert system each semester. We will inform the campus community before sending test notifications
If the message is a test of the system, the subject line will have “TEST: Missouri State Alert.”
Any message without the word “test” is an urgent message. Urgent messages will carry subject lines such as, “Emergency Alert,” “Weather Alert” or “Campus Advisory.”