Research Ethics Training

Prior to beginning any research project, it is important that you have the proper training to make sound ethical decisions about your research. Depending upon your field, different preparatory courses will be required to ensure that you understand the ethical and legal issues that you might encounter. Missouri State University has provided easy and cost-free avenues for students and faculty to get the training they need.

Human Subjects CITI Training

If you plan to do research that involves people in any way – including electronic surveys – you are required to become certified in human subjects research. MSU participates with the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) for human subjects training. Completion of this training is required for Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval of any project dealing with humans. Access instructions on how to get started.

HIPAA Training

If your research will bring you into contact with Protected Health Information (PHI) such as identifiable medical records, you must become familiar with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). You can do this two ways:

1. If you are faculty, staff, or a student employee, you should earn your certificate for HIPAA Researchers Training through My Learning Connection (Note: Student employees may need to seek permission from the Office of Human Resources to access MLC).

2. If you are a student who is not employed by the university or who needs to complete HIPAA training as part of a class assignment, you can complete HIPAA Academic Training.

Animal Care and Use Training

If you intend to work with animals in your research, you must first complete International Animal Care and Use Compliance (IACUC) training. This training is required for anyone who is involved in animal care and use, including research approved by the MSU IRB but that is actually conducted at another university or site.

Conflict of Interest Training

Although it is encouraged for all researchers, you must receive Conflict of Interest (COI) training if your research is funded by the Public Health Service (PHS). Get started here.

Responsible Conduct of Research Training

Although this is an excellent course for anyone in research, if your research is federally funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) or the National Institutes of Health (NIH), you should complete the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training.

Biosafety Training

Will your research put you into contact with potentially hazardous materials such as plant pests or known carcinogens? Be sure to protect yourself and others by reviewing biosafety procedures.