Founded in 1905, Missouri State University is the state-designated Public Affairs institution, educating students to be global citizen scholars. A knowledgeable, dedicated faculty and staff work on behalf of over 23,600 students in a diverse, learner-centered, and success-focused environment. The university takes pride in providing an affordable, accessible, and high-quality education to its students through classroom and online teaching in the colleges of Business, Education, Humanities and Public Affairs, Natural and Applied Sciences; and the Judith Enyeart Reynolds College of Arts and Letters, McQueary College of Health and Human Services, and William H. Darr College of Agriculture. The rich array of 170+ baccalaureate and 66 graduate degree academic programs includes six professional doctoral degrees. Missouri State's Bears athletes compete in 17 NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletic teams.
Who we are
We are committed to a mission grounded in public affairs. We educate our students to be global citizen scholars.
Find out what it means to be a bear
Springfield, Missouri has many metropolitan amenities while retaining a small town feel.
It is important to Missouri State University that the EVP and Provost be committed to a balance of academic excellence, lifelong learning, and operational efficiencies with an energetic, can-do attitude. This individual will demonstrate strong communication and team-building skills and must be an innovative, engaging leader for students, faculty, and staff, alike. The EVP and Provost will work to develop meaningful strategies to advance diversity, equity, and inclusivity campus-wide and will bring a collaborative, inspirational presence to the university in tandem with the President to achieve a bold shared vision. The Executive Vice President and Provost must arrive with the following:
- Determination to build upon Missouri State's success and strengths and support the MSU public affairs designation within a vibrant research and scholarship environment;
- Deep respect for transparency and the tenets of shared governance;
- Knowledge of revenue diversification, creative allocation, and resource generation, including fundraising;
- Capacity to provide a focus on increasing enrollment of traditional and non-traditional learners with a commitment to access, achievement, and retention;
- Ability to build an inclusive environment and facilitate implementation of equity, diversity, and inclusion initiatives among students, faculty, and staff;
- Ability to oversee faculty whose responsibilities include graduate and undergraduate teaching, scholarship, and service;
- Organizational and management experience in leading, developing, and building consensus in an academic environment;
- Strategic planning experience and clear, fact-based, data-informed decision-making abilities based upon regional and national trends in higher education;
- Broad knowledge of enrollment strategy and curriculum development requirements to remain competitive and viable in national and international contexts;
- Experience with accreditation demands at the national and regional levels;
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development and mentorship for faculty and staff;
- Ability to ensure that policies governing learning, living, and all student support issues enhance the campus environment;
- Experience in community engagement with diverse constituencies, including state and city government leaders, alumni, K-12, community colleges, businesses, and foundations;
- A servant leadership style along with a kind, personable demeanor and high emotional intelligence;
- Strong spoken, written, listening, and interpersonal skills with an approachable presence;
- Experience leading a large, complex organization in a challenging financial environment; and
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
Missouri State University offers the next EVP and Provost the privilege of embracing a great history and being part of a unique, student-focused academic community. To assure best consideration, applications should be received by March 23, 2022. The application should include the following:
- A letter of interest (3 pages) addressing the applicant’s background in relationship to qualifications described;
- A résumé (or curriculum vitae); and
- Contact information for five professional references with each person’s position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. (References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.)
Nominations and applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to email@example.com.
It is anticipated that the new Executive Vice President and Provost will begin service to Missouri State University by July 2022.
The search is being assisted by James H. McCormick, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-238-5188, and Janice S. Fitzgerald, email@example.com, 717-580-0663, AGB Search. More information about this search may be found at https://www.missouristate.edu/Provost/evp-provost-search.htm and in "Active Searches" at www.agbsearch.com.
For Missouri State University's Non-Discrimination Policy Statement, please go to EO/AA/F/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.