Learning Management System Review Project
The office of the executive vice president and the provost has requested an evaluation of the current learning management system, Blackboard Learn, that is being used and supported by the university. This review will be conducted during the Spring 2023 semester. Our current contract will soon be up for renewal and the university will be entering into a one-year extension to allow time for this evaluation and possible migration of LMS platforms. No change will occur to current courses in Blackboard Learn during this review process.
Learning management systems have changed significantly since Missouri State first began using Blackboard. In fact, Blackboard is introducing its next generation LMS Blackboard Ultra. The goal of this review is to evaluate Blackboard Ultra along with two additional systems, Brightspace D2L and Canvas and identify the system that best meets the needs of our academic community.
The review process will include students, faculty, and service units that provide user support for these systems.
- Identify the current academic community needs for a learning management system (LMS).
- Assess different options to meet current needs while considering costs and future needs of different course modalities (face-to-face, blended, online, hybrid and HyFlex).
- Assess the support needed to increase adoption and effective use of a learning management system among faculty and students.
- Present a final report and recommendations to the Office of the Provost from which decisions can be made.
LMS review timeline
- Announce LMS review
- Call for faculty reviewers.
- Conduct student and faculty surveys.
- Faculty review group user testing of LMS platforms
- On-campus presentations from LMS vendors
- Technical review conducted by information services and support units
- Open forum for user preferences and feedback
- Analyze data from student and faculty surveys, faculty user review, faculty feedback from on-campus presentations, and technical review of LMS platforms.
- Present final report and recommendation to the office of the executive vice president and the provost.
- Office of the executive vice president and the provost and chief information officer prepares proposal to go before Board of Governors.
LMS vendor demonstrations
All members of the academic community are invited to attend on-campus demonstrations of the three LMS platforms being reviewed. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions about the platform and submit feedback after the vendor demonstration. The demonstration portion of these visits will be recorded for those that are unable to attend. Faculty are encouraged to review all three sessions, either in-person or the recording, and provide feedback.
LMS on-campus demo dates
Each vendor demonstration will follow a similar format meeting with faculty, students, and technical staff.
- Canvas — Tuesday, March 21 | Vist agenda | Presentation video
- Anthology/Blackboard — Tuesday, March 28 | Vist agenda | Presentation video
- D2L (Brightspace) — Tuesday, April 4 | Vist agenda | SIU Center for Teaching Excellence video | Presentation video
All faculty sessions are from 9:00 – 10:25 a.m. each session.
Each meeting will follow the same agenda:
- Demonstration for faculty
- Technical discussion
- Student demonstration
- Discussion on assessment, data, and reporting capabilities
- Support for non-degree programs
List of faculty reviewers
LMS migration experiences
As we continue to review three LMS products, we want to make available all that we know or has been shared with us. The following provides information on a migration to either Canvas or Bright Space from the perspectives of participating IHEs.
You need Adobe Reader to view and print documents on this page.