Dr. Patrick Brooks
Dr. Brooks is a Physician and Surgeon, with two decades of experience in General, Trauma, and Colorectal Surgery. His research program focuses on clinical surgical research.
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School, 1995
- BS, Biomedical Sciences, Grand Valley State University, 1991
- Colon and Rectal Surgery Residency, William Beaumont Hospital, 2000-2001
- General Surgery Residency, Wilford Hall USAF Medical Center/University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 1995-2000
- BMS 307 Human Anatomy lab
- BMS/OTE 645 Clinical Gross Anatomy
- BMS/PAS 717 Medical Human Anatomy
- BMS 752 Medical Physiology
- ANE 734 Advanced Physical Assessment and Clinical Reasoning
- ANE 742 Clinical Physiology
Selected published articles
- Hegde R, Trombold JM, Brooks JP, Dominguez JM. Colorectal Surgery Review for Primary Care Providers. Missouri Medicine. 117(4):383-387, Jul/Aug 2020
- Perry WB, ?Brooks JP, ??Muskat PC. The History of Military Colorectal Trauma Management. Seminars in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 15:70-9, 2004.
- Brooks JP, ??Perry WB, Richards ML. Abdominal Distention and Diarrhea in a Young Female. Current Surgery. 61(5):435-438, Sep/Oct 2004.
- Brooks, JP, ??Perry, WB, Putnam AT, Karulf RE. Thermal Imaging in the Detection of Bowel Ischemia. ?Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. 43(9):1319-21, Sep 2000.
- Brooks JP, ??Tripp HJ. Bioabsorbable Weave technique for Repair of Pectus Excavatum. ?Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 119(1):176-8, Jan 2000.
Selected published textbook chapters
- Brooks, JP, ??Perry WB. Radiation Injury to the Small and Large Bowel. Cameron JL. ?Current Surgical Therapy, 8th Edition, Philadelphia, 2004, Mosby, Inc.
Selected invited presentations
- Cardiovascular Physiology, with Emphasis on Hemorrhagic Shock, Missouri Association of Nurse Anesthetists (MoANA) Spring Meeting ’19. Springfield, Missouri, April 2019
- Colorectal Surgery for the Surgical Technologist, National Continuing Education Program for the Missouri Assembly of Surgical Technologists. Springfield, Missouri, March 2006
- Penetrating Thoracic Trauma: Evaluation and Management, Surgical Management of Knife and Gunshot wounds: A Practical Approach-Symposium Sponsored by East Netherlands Trauma Region. Nijmegen, the Netherlands. August 2002
Research and professional interests
As a Physician and Surgeon, Dr. Brooks's research includes basic science projects with immediate clinical applicability. Two directions of research include point-of-care smartphone thermal imaging in the diagnosis of ischemia and novel uses of hypochlorous acid in medical and surgical infectious disorders.
Awards and honors
- Fellow, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, current
- Board Certification, Colon and Rectal Surgery, current
- Board Certification, General Surgery, current
- Eula and Donald S. Coffee Innovative Research Award, Society for Basic Urologic Research, November 2020
- Iron Intern Award, Wilford Hall Medical Center Department of Surgery, 1996
- Health Professions Scholarship Program, University of Michigan Medical School/US Air Force, 1991 - 1995
- Upjohn Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, University of Michigan Medical School, 1995
- Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Michigan Medical School, 1994, 1995
- Dean's Award, University of Michigan Medical School, 1992
- Magna Cum Laude, Grand Valley State University, 1991
- Outstanding Biomedical Sciences Graduate, Grand Valley State University, 1991