TITLE Associate Director - Jordan Valley Innovation Center (JVIC)
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9312
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director - Jordan Valley Innovation Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Vice President for Economic Development
The Associate Director – Jordan Valley Innovation Center (JVIC) is responsible for assisting the Director in the operations of the Jordan Valley Innovation Center, which includes financial management and budgeting, research administration and compliance, tenant relations, training programs, management of the JVIC NextFlex Node and project coordination with the Directors of the Center for Applied Science and Engineering (CASE) and the Center for Biomedical and Life Sciences (CBLS). The Associate Director of JVIC also serves as the Chief Technical Officer of Springfield Innovation, Inc.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business or applied science discipline is required. An equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered for substitution of educational requirements.
Experience: At least five years of progressively increasing responsibilities for program development, project management, budgeting, operations forecasting and grants and contracts administration are required. At least 3 years of work in a higher education or scientific research setting with duties requiring the ability to effectively collaborate and coordinate the work of groups with diverse interests is required. Experience and thorough knowledge of federal regulations, compliance and administration of federal grants and contracts is required.
Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills are required. Effective organizational skills are required. Supervisory skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: This position is designated “sensitive” as defined by University policy. This position may include job duties, responsibilities, or activities that are subject to export control regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists with the work of JVIC to ensure it is consistent with its mission by providing advanced technology, research, development, engineering, technical support, and educational programs that advance the competitiveness of industries in Southwest Missouri.
2. Oversees the financial management and budgeting for JVIC, including forecasting operational plans and strategies.
3. Works closely with the Director and Center Directors of CASE and CBLS in managing federal regulations, compliance and research administration of external funding, including federal grants and contracts.4. Works closely with the Director, and both the CASE and CBLS Center Directors and industry partners on research project proposals and external funding requests.
5. Oversees the establishment and operation of the Missouri NextFlex Node at JVIC in coordination with the Director, including financial management and operation procedures.
6. Assists the Director in supporting industry affiliates, tenants, community stakeholders, university administration, faculty and students.
7. Supervises professional staff, graduate students, part-time staff and additional staff as new programs develop.
8. Serves as Chief Technical Officer of Springfield Innovation, Inc.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
11. Contributes to the overall success of the Jordan Valley Innovation Center by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Associate Director, Jordan Valley Innovation Center, is supervised by the Director, Jordan Valley Innovation Center. The Associate Director will supervise professional staff, graduate students and part-time staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES