TITLE Director, Center for Applied Science and Engineering (CASE)
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9310
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Executive Director, Jordan Valley Innovation Center (JVIC)
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for Research & Economic Development
The primary job duty of the Director, CASE is the provide leadership, direction, fiscal management, and overall supervision of activities, including research and business management, of the CASE sub-unit. The Director conducts institutional planning and formulates policies for a CASE sub-unit. The Director organizes and staffs the research teams and supervises research assistants, graduate assistants, student workers, and others who work on various special projects. The Director coordinates the resources of federal, state, and local governments with the resources of the University and the private sector to promote growth, expansion, innovation, increased productivity, and management innovation in Southwest Missouri.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree in an Applied Science or a Business discipline is required;
Experience: Five years of experience that demonstrates progressively increasing responsibilities for program development, project management, budgeting, and administration are required. At least two of these years must be in a responsible supervisory capacity with comprehensive management responsibilities. Experience at an institution of higher education is preferred.
Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills are required. Effective organizational skills are required. Supervisory skills are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to write concise analytical reports which are directed to specific readership is required.
Other: This position is designated “sensitive” as defined by University policy. This position may include job duties, responsibilities, or activities that are subject to export control regulations. Participation in occasional evening or weekend activities is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift and carry materials weighing up to fifty pounds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures that the work of the CASE sub-unit is consistent with its mission by providing advanced technology, research, development, engineering, technical support, and educational programs that advance the competitiveness of industries in Southwest Missouri.
2. Facilitates an interdisciplinary approach to serve the research, development, engineering, technical, and educational needs of industry by working with University academic administrators and faculty to encourage participation in research projects, developing new and existing Applied Science and Technology interdisciplinary programs and internships, securing commitments from colleges for these programs, and assisting with program assessment.
3. Assists the product-oriented research and development efforts of local businesses by supporting industrial projects, including instrumentation development, energy and environmental audits, materials testing, and research and development and providing employee training workshops for new and developing technologies.
4. Facilitates the collaboration of local industry, students, and faculty by communicating the mission and goals of the CASE sub-unit to local business leaders, company representatives, University administration and faculty, students, community leaders, and state and federal representatives.
5. Helps to assure the financial viability of the CASE sub-unit by securing external funding, overseeing external funding efforts of the CASE sub-unit, and providing oversight activities for funded grants and contracts.
6. Assures the research performed at the CASE sub-unit is consistent with the mission by supervising technical aspects of research and supervising CASE-funded laboratories.
7. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses required by the Executive Director.
8. Contributes to the overall success of CASE by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director is supervised by the Executive Director, JVIC and supervises staff, faculty, and students assigned to CASE projects.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MARCH 2009