TITLE Research Coordinator - JVIC
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9307
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Jordan Valley Innovation Center
The Research Coordinator - JVIC conducts research within one or both research units of the Jordan Valley Innovation Center (JVIC) and acts as both research coordinator and research officer by performing various responsibilities in multiple areas of JVIC research operations and university research infrastructure and working closely with the Office of Research Administration. The Research Coordinator - JVIC carries out research objectives that are outlined by the Principal Investigator based on grants/contracts, and collaborates with other research scientists, research faculty, corporate research scientists, JVIC administration, and both state and federal agencies. The Research Coordinator - JVIC runs a particular portion of labs to conduct sponsored research experiments and operates scientific equipment for high-risk research and development. The Research Coordinator - JVIC has the role of an officer in many aspects (Laboratory Health and Safety, Hazardous Waste, Radiation Safety, Biosafety) of the JVIC and overall university research infrastructure to promote the proper operational functionality of university and JVIC research operations which requires updated knowledge and the development of protocols in the assigned area to inform, train, and/or advise all JVIC and university personnel of protocols.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree in an Applied Science or a related appropriate scientific or technical discipline is required.
Experience: At least one year of experience working in a lab environment is required. An equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered for substitution of educational requirements.
Skills: Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills are required. The ability to work effectively with staff, students, faculty, federal and state agencies, and corporate collaborators is required. The ability to exercise independent thinking or judgement in the absence of established protocols or procedures is required. Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office and graphics software is required. A record of inclusive conduct and evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: This position is designated “sensitive” as defined by university policy. This position may include job duties, responsibilities, or activities that are subject to export control regulations. This position is soft money funded and subject to continuing grant/contract funding.
Effort: Occasional lifting and carrying of materials and equipment weighing up to fifty pounds. Normal color vision is required in order to conduct experiments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Collaborates in conducting research by working with students, staff, faculty, and/or other partners.
2. Conducts research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed, conducting relevant literature searches, and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of all current methods of experimentation.
3. Serves as a designated officer responsible for certain aspects of the JVIC and University facility infrastructure such as Laboratory Health and Safety, Hazardous Waste, Radiation Safety, Biosafety; develops protocols and guidelines for procedures in areas of officer responsibility; and develops, coordinates, and provides training to JVIC and University personnel regarding protocols and guidelines in the area of officer responsibility.
4. Serves various roles for the University and JVIC, including, but not limited to, University Radiation Safety Officer, University Biosafety Coordinator/Institutional Biosafety Committee Coordinator, Occupational Health and Safety Coordinator, Hazardous Waste Coordinator, Laboratory and Building Safety Coordinator, Member of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Environmental Management Policy Panel, and EPA Air Quality monitoring.
5. Runs an assigned portion of a lab facility as well as other administrative operations related to the position.
6. Supervises, trains, and mentors graduate and undergraduate students on applied science experiments and procedures in a laboratory environment. Trains all JVIC new employees in Health and Safety, and other unique operational requirements at JVIC.
7. Conducts and mediates interactions between state and federal agencies, corporate research scientists, university personnel and students to control dissemination of information regarding research compliance, safety, intellectual property issues and other JVIC protocols.
8. Contributes to projects and grants by conducting literature searches and experimental research.
9. Contributes to the dissemination of knowledge gained through research by preparing and publishing findings and presenting findings in meetings with partners and at conferences.
10. Assists the Director, Jordan Valley Innovation Center in various operational capacities as needed.
11. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director, Principal Investigator, Office of Research Administration or state or federal regulatory agency.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the position by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Research Coordinator - JVIC is supervised by the Director, Jordan Valley Innovation Center and works in coordination with the Principal Investigator of a grant or contract and supervises graduate and undergraduate students. The Research Coordinator - JVIC also works in close coordination and under direction of the Office of Research Administration.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES