TITLE Senior Research Scientist-JVIC
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9305
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Varies
The primary job duty of the Senior Research Scientist-JVIC is to conduct research within one of the research units of the Jordan Valley Innovation Center. The Senior Research Scientist carries out research objectives that are outlined by the Principal Investigator based on grants/contracts. The Senior Research Scientist-JVIC runs a number of labs to conduct sponsored research experiments. The Senior Research Scientist-JVIC serves as Principal and Co-Principal Investigator on a number of grants/contracts, generally works independently on research projects as assigned, and exercises independent thinking and judgment in the absence of established protocols and procedures. The Senior Research Scientist-JVIC supervises a small cohort of research scientists, research technicians, research faculty, corporate research scientists, and graduate and undergraduate students and trains those supervised on a number of research-related procedures and protocols. The Senior Research Scientist-JVIC develops guidelines and protocols for JVIC lab operations and is designated as a division leader within the JVIC infrastructure to run a number of facility-defined resource divisions. The Senior Research Scientist-JVIC assures quality and quality control within their division, maintains the budget for their division, and promotes the general operational efficiency of the JVIC infrastructure. The Senior Research Scientist-JVIC operates, tests, and repairs electronic and scientific test equipment used within JVIC, assists in the construction and modification of new and prototype scientific devices, and assists in the design process of developing appropriate facilities to conduct high-risk research and development.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree in an Applied Science or a related appropriate discipline is required.
Experience: Two years of research experience is required which includes a basic knowledge of lab techniques and other related research lab protocols that pertain to the area of expertise. One year of experience with grants and contracts development and execution (preparing technical proposals and cost proposals) is required. Experience in writing and presenting scientific research papers is required. One year of experience working with corporate R&D research or JVIC-related research projects is preferred.
Skills: Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills are required. Must have the ability to work effectively with staff, students, faculty, and corporate collaborators. Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office and graphics software is required. A record of inclusive conduct and evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is preferred.
Other: This position is designated “sensitive” as defined by University policy. This position may include job duties, responsibilities, or activities that are subject to export control regulations.
Effort: Occasional lifting and carrying of materials and equipment weighing up to fifty pounds. Normal color vision is required in order to conduct experiments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maintains an operational lab environment in order to conduct sponsored research projects by supervising a small cohort of research scientists, research technicians, research faculty, corporate research scientists, and graduate and undergraduate students and providing training to the cohort on procedures and protocols relating to complex scientific operations, analyses, and equipment.
2. Supervises research projects (completely or portions) by determining and assigning tasks, timelines, and milestones for the completion of sponsored research projects.
3. Conducts and mediates sensitive interactions between corporate research scientists and university research faculty, research scientists, research technicians, and students to control dissemination of information regarding corporate intellectual property issues.
4. Collaborates in conducting research by working with students, staff, faculty, and/or other partners.
5. Develops and updates guidelines and protocols for lab operations and procedures and disseminates that information to cohorts of research staff, faculty, and students that work in the labs.
6. Serves as a designated division leader within the JVIC infrastructure by running a number of facility-defined resource divisions, implementing the overall mission scope of the division(s), assuring quality and quality control within the assigned division(s), maintaining a budget for the division(s), and promoting the general operational efficiency of the JVIC infrastructure.
7. Conducts research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed, conducting relevant literature searches, and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of all current methods of experimentation.
8. Understands the principles of operation of specialized scientific equipment and teaches subordinates how to operate the equipment.
9. Contributes to the dissemination of knowledge gained through research by preparing and publishing findings and presenting findings in meetings with partners and at scientific conferences.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
12. Contributes to the overall success of the project by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Senior Research Scientist-JVIC is supervised by the Principal Investigator of a grant or contract and supervises a small cohort of research scientists, research technicians, research faculty, and graduate and undergraduate students.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2019