TITLE Junior Research Scientist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9303
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Varies
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Varies
The primary job duty of the Junior Research Scientist is to conduct research. The Junior Research Scientist carries out research objectives that are outlined by the Principal Investigator or other faculty supervisor based on grants/contracts.The Junior Research Scientist runs a particular portion of a lab to conduct sponsored research experiments.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree in an Applied Science or a related appropriate discipline is required.
Experience: One year of experience working in a lab environment is required.
Skills: Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills are required. Must have the ability to work effectively with staff, students, faculty, and corporate collaborators. Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office and graphics software is required.
Effort: Occasional lifting and carrying of materials and equipment weighing up to fifty pounds. Normal color vision is required in order to conduct experiments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Collaborates in conducting research by working with students, staff, faculty, and/or other partners.
2. Conducts research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed, conducting relevant literature searches, and maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of all current methods of experimentation.
3. Contributes to the development of new projects and grants by conducting literature searches and experimental research.
4. Contributes to the dissemination of knowledge gained through research by preparing and publishing findings and presenting findings in meetings with partners and at scientific conferences.
5. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
6. Contributes to the overall success of the project by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Junior Research Scientist is supervised by the Principal Investigator or faculty supervisor.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES