TITLE VESTA Missouri Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 9123
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Project Coordinator, VESTA National Center of Excellence
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Department Head, Agriculture
The Viticulture and Enology Scientific Training Alliance (VESTA) Missouri Coordinator serves as a liaison between the VESTA National Center of Excellence (a National Science Foundation-funded project involving partnerships among higher education institutions across the nation, as well as collaborations with state-level extension agents, state government agencies, and industry associations), the Missouri grape and wine industry, and current and prospective students. The VESTA Missouri Coordinator serves as an advisor to students enrolled in VESTA courses hosted by Missouri State University – West Plains, plans and coordinates VESTA workshops conducted in Missouri, and makes site visits to student field practicum sites located within the state of Missouri. The VESTA Missouri Coordinator serves as VESTA recruiter and as a representative of the VESTA National Center at industry conferences primarily within the state of Missouri, and on occasion outside the state. The VESTA Missouri Coordinator assists certificate and associate degree level VESTA program students pursuing education in the areas of enology, viticulture, and wine business entrepreneurship with the development of academic schedules and educational plans appropriate for their stated educational goals and meets with students to discuss educational options at the baccalaureate and masters level. The VESTA Missouri Coordinator provides general information about the VESTA educational program, field experiences, and requirements for degree completion and completes a formal transcript analysis to determine the coursework. The VESTA Missouri Coordinator maintains necessary records to monitor the academic progress of students and refers students to resources within the University that provide assistance to students having difficulty.
This is a grant-funded position.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Viticulture, Enology, Food Science, Horticulture, Biology, Business, Marketing, or related fields is required.
Experience: One year of experience in marketing, promotion, and/or event organization is required.
Skills: Familiarity with the grape and wine industry is preferred. Excellent interpersonal skills, in particular the ability to work with the public in person, on the telephone, and through electronic correspondence, are required. Strong verbal and written communication and organizational skills are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: A valid Missouri driver’s license is required. Day trips and overnight travel throughout Missouri is required. Periodic travel outside of Missouri is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides the essential student service of advisement to enology and viticulture certificate and Associate-degree students by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures unique to the education programs of the VESTA National Center and Missouri State University-West Plains by assisting students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for their stated educational goals, registering students for classes, processing add/drops, and directing students to resources within the VESTA program and the Missouri State University system that provide additional assistance as appropriate.
2. Assists in the management of program enrollment by reviewing registrations, tracking admission requirements, collecting student transcripts, and recommending approval for add and drop requests which are appropriate for the student and his/her educational plan.
3. Facilitates the student field experience by working with both students and mentors and making periodic site visits during the field practicum experience.
4. Plans, coordinates, and promotes industry workshops as a joint venture between VESTA National Center, the Missouri State University – Mtn. Grove campus, the Darr Agricultural Center, and other locations in Missouri.
5. Represents the VESTA National Center of Excellence at industry conferences located within, and occasionally beyond, the state of Missouri.
6. Assists in the marketing of the VESTA program throughout the state of Missouri through the development of marketing brochures and materials and making contributions to the VESTA website and electronic newsletters for the dissemination of information about VESTA National Center activities planned and conducted in Missouri.
7. Oversees the coordination and implementation of the VESTA Missouri Advisory Council including member selection and annual meeting organization.
8. Participates in meetings and conferences of secondary school teachers and students, Missouri Workforce Development organizations, and other venues regarding career opportunities in the grape and wine industry and VESTA educational and professional development programs.
9. Serves as a leader and coordinator for all VESTA state coordinators, leads organizational and informational meetings, and serves as a resource for VESTA state coordinators from all alliance member institutions.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing and maintaining professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required.
12. Helps to assure the overall success of the VESTA National Center of Excellence by performing all other duties as assigned.
The VESTA Missouri Coordinator is supervised by the Project Coordinator, VESTA National Center of Excellence.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2012