TITLE Senior Pharmacy Technician
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 6821
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Pharmacist, Magers Health and Wellness Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center
The Senior Pharmacy Technician fills prescriptions which are checked by the pharmacist, accepts prescriptions by phone, contacts physicians for refills and transfers prescriptions to/from other pharmacies.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Completion of workshops in Pharmacy Technology and pharmacology are preferred.
Experience: Two years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician is required.
Skills: Knowledge of medical and pharmacy terminology is required. An understanding of pharmacy computer system operations (hardware, software, and operating systems) is required. Effective communication skills and the ability to work collegially with a wide variety of professionals in a fast paced health care setting is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Registration: Must be registered with the State Board of Pharmacy as a Pharmacy Technician.
Certification: Certification as a Nationally Certified Pharmacy Technician is required.
Effort: This position lifts cartons of medication and pharmacy supplies weighing up to twenty pounds on a weekly basis. This position stocks and retrieves items from shelves of varying heights and staffs a pharmacy counter for extended periods on a daily basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures that pharmacists have access to appropriate pharmaceuticals and supplies and customers have convenient access to over-the-counter items by replenishing shelves with orders received and determining the location and placement of stock items.
2. Assists the pharmacist on duty in filling prescriptions by selecting the item, verifying it is the correct product, counting the correct quantity, applying the label to the container and entering the patient’s insurance and personal information into the pharmacy software application.
3. Provides good customer service by coordinating with physicians to obtain refill authorizations, accepting refill requests from customers over the phone, assisting customers to obtain the necessary over-the-counter supplies, accepting new prescriptions over the phone as well as in writing, coordinating the transfer of prescriptions to and from other pharmacies, and coordinating price quotes for customers.
4. Assists with the annual inventory of prescription pharmaceuticals and over-the-counter products.
5. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
6. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Pharmacist.
7. Contributes to the overall success of the Health Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Senior Pharmacy Technician is supervised by the Coordinator, Pharmacy Services and works under the direct supervision of the pharmacist on duty.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017