TITLE Medical Technologist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 6412
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for Student Affairs
The Medical Technologist performs professional laboratory work following established clinic procedures and performs chemical and biological tests on patient specimens for medical diagnosis.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor of Science degree in a health-related or scientific field is required; a Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology is preferred.
Experience: One year experience as a clinical Medical Technologist is required; two years experience is preferred.
Skills: The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
License: Must be certified by the American Society for Clinical Pathologists.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists the clinic physician in making a medical diagnosis by accurately performing and reporting all in-house laboratory testing procedures and obtaining necessary specimens for reference laboratory testing, as required.
2. Ensures accurate lab testing by personally drawing specimen from patients and/or by giving clear, precise instructions to patients for self-administered lab tests.
3. Enhances the efficiency and accuracy of lab testing by maintaining adequate laboratory supplies, by keeping equipment in operational condition and by maintaining a clean and orderly laboratory work area.
4. Assists in the preparation of monthly statistical reports by keeping accurate records on all radiographic and laboratory procedures performed.
5. Maintains quality assurance of the Laboratory by performing proficiency testing.
6. Performs radiographic procedures at a technically acceptable level.
7. Ensures that the radiological unit contributes to providing proper patient care by maintaining appropriate supplies, maintaining the equipment in operational condition and maintaining a clear, orderly work area.
8. Reduces the potential for liability by following established practices and procedures for completing x-rays as requested by the physician.
9. Reduces the potential for loss of accreditation from regulatory agencies by maintaining x-ray files in accordance with governing regulations and procedures.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses and attending training and/or courses required by the Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center.
12. Contributes to the smooth and effective operation of the Magers Health and Wellness Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as required.
The Medical Technologist works under the general supervision of the Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center and under the direct supervision of the physicians of Magers Health and Wellness Center and assigns work and supervises others who work in the laboratory area.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017