TITLE Nursing Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 6030
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for Student Affairs
Within the scope of practice as defined by the Missouri Nurse Practice Act requiring substantial specialized education, judgment and skill based on knowledge and the application of principles derived from the biological, physical, social and nursing sciences, the Nursing Coordinator provides direction and supervision to the nursing staff of Magers Health and Wellness Center by coordinating the delivery of patient care, maintaining quality assurance by ensuring the implementation of nursing policy and procedures, and working as a liaison between nursing staff, physicians, administration and others at Magers Health and Wellness Center. The college health nurse is directed toward enhancing the patient’s educational experience by decreasing or eliminating health-related barriers and encouraging optimal wellness aiding the patient to make fact-based decisions about health-related issues, as well as helping the patient to be a directed and informed consumer of health care services.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of a recognized training program in nursing for registration as a Professional Registered Nurse in Missouri is required. A Bachelor of Science in Nursing or Bachelor of Science in a health-related field is preferred. College Health Nursing Certification is preferred.
Experience: Five years of nursing experience is required. Two years of supervisory experience required.
Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills are required. Organizational and management skills, specifically in directing the activities of nursing staff, are required.
Effort: Must be able to lift fifteen to twenty-five pounds and endure extended periods of standing on a daily basis.
License: Must be actively licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of Missouri.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supervises and coordinates the delivery of patient care by the nursing staff by making hiring decisions, establishing professional licensure at hire, orienting new staff, making merit recommendations, developing policies and procedures, assuring that CPR and AED certification of all staff is current, scheduling and making the daily assessment of priorities and emergencies.
2. Provides ongoing advice and consultation to the nursing staff about proper procedures, problem solving and patient safety as well as evaluating the quality and appropriateness of nursing care and documentation of care provided.
3. Facilitates the team approach by recognizing each nurse as an important part of the Magers Health and Wellness care team, serving as a liaison for the nursing staff by conducting appropriate meetings to communicate policy and planning decisions, operational requirements and related matters, and keeping the Coordinator of Medical Services and others updated on operational issues.
4. Assists in preparing budgetary recommendations of medical supplies and treatment room charges by maintaining a biannual report for the Coordinator of Medical Services.
5. Helps to assure excellent patient care for Magers Health and Wellness Center patients by determining nursing staff strengths and weaknesses by performing periodic audits of nursing procedures and analyzing the data.
6. Ensures that staff of Magers Health and Wellness Center follow the Infection Control policy by making periodic quality assurance audits.
7. Promotes quality patient care by overseeing that necessary equipment and supplies are available.
8. Provides nursing triage, counsel, and care of patients who are ill, injured or experiencing alteration in the normal health process by gathering and evaluating the past and present health history, vital signs and the performing nursing assessment.
9. Provides quality patient care by observing, monitoring, assessing, reporting, reporting and recording patient concerns, conditions and responses.
10. Evaluates, schedules, and determines the appropriate administration of allergy injections, immunizations, and tuberculin skin tests and administers medications (PO, SQ, IM, IV, SL), nebulizer therapy, EKG’s and other treatments as prescribed by a provider licensed by a state regulatory board to prescribe medications and treatments.
11. Provides education in health care and the prevention of illness to the patient and his or her family.
12. Coordinates and assists in the delivery of a plan of health care with all members of the health team.
13. Collaborates with Human Resources, Counseling Center, allied health services and physician offices in regards to pre-employment health screening, drug screens and the patient’s well-being.
14. Performs pre-employment screens under the direction of Magers Health and Wellness Center physicians.
15. Works effectively as a team member of the Magers Health and Wellness Center’s health care team by following the Center’s Infection Control policy, performing all duties in full compliance with the Center’s Nursing policies and procedures, demonstrating professionalism and awareness of the issues of confidentiality and demonstrating respect and understanding of the rights and safety of the patient.
16. Maintains competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Coordinator of Medical Services.
17. Contributes to the successful operation of Magers Health and Wellness Center by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Nursing Coordinator is supervised by the Director of the Magers Health and Wellness Center and functions under the direction of the physicians. The Nursing Coordinator supervises the nursing staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JUNE 2007