TITLE Registered Nurse
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 6020
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Nursing Coordinator
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center
The Registered Nurse performs duties within the scope of practice as defined by the Missouri Nurse Practice Act, in conjunction with the policies and procedures of Magers Health and Wellness Center, and requiring substantial specialized education, judgment and skill based on knowledge and application of principles derived from the biological, physical, social and nursing sciences. The college health nurse is directed toward enhancing the patient’s educational experience by decreasing or eliminating health-related barriers, encouraging optimal wellness, aiding the patient to make fact-based decisions about health-related issues and helping the patient to be a directed and informed consumer of health care services.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Training in nursing for registration as a Professional Registered Nurse in the State of Missouri is required.
Experience: Two years nursing experience in a clinical setting is preferred.
Skill: Must be able to organize and prioritize one's own work assignment with minimal supervision. Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift 15-25 pounds and endure extended periods of standing on a daily basis.
License: Must be actively licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Missouri.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides nursing triage, counsel and care of patients who are ill, injured or experiencing alteration in the normal health process by gathering and evaluating the past and present health history, vital signs and the performing nursing assessment.
2. Provides quality patient care by observing, monitoring, assessing, reporting, reporting and recording patient concerns, conditions and responses.
3. Evaluates, schedules, and determines the appropriate administration of allergy injections, immunizations, and tuberculin skin tests and administers medications (PO, SQ, IM, IV, SL), nebulizer therapy, EKG’s and other treatments as prescribed by a provider licensed by a state regulatory board to prescribe medications and treatments.
4. Provides education in health care and the prevention of illness to the patient and his or her family.
5. Coordinates and assists in the delivery of a plan of health care with all members of the health team.
6. Collaborates with Human Resources, Counseling Center, allied health services and physician offices in regards to pre-employment health screening, drug screens and the patient’s well-being.
7. Works effectively as a team member of the Magers Health and Wellness Center’s health care team by following the Center’s Infection Control policy, performing all duties in full compliance with the Center’s Nursing policies and procedures, demonstrating professionalism and awareness of the issues of confidentiality, and demonstrating respect and understanding of the rights and safety of the patient.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Nursing Coordinator.
10. Contributes to the overall success of the Magers Health and Wellness Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Registered Nurse is supervised by the Nursing Coordinator and functions under the direction of physicians and may supervise other nursing staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017