TITLE Licensed Practical Nurse
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 6010
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for Student Affairs
The Licensed Practical Nurse (L.P.N.) performs duties within the scope of practice as defined by the Missouri Nurse Practice Act requiring all nursing care shall be given under the direction of a person licensed by a state regulatory board to prescribe medications and treatments or under the direction of a registered professional nurse, physician, or nurse practitioner. The L.P.N. performs duties for the promotion of health and in the care of persons who are ill, injured, or experiencing alterations in normal health processes requiring substantial specialized skill, judgment, and knowledge in accordance with the Magers Health and Wellness Center Nursing Policy and Procedure.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Educations: A high school diploma plus completion of one year training in licensed practical nursing program from an accredited school is required.
Experience: Two years nursing experience in a clinical setting is required.
Skills: The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift 15-25 pounds and endure extended periods of standing on a daily basis.
License: Current licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse in the state of Missouri is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides basic patient care for the sick, injured, convalescent and disabled by gathering patient information and taking vital signs, blood pressure, pulse, respiration and pulse oximetry.
2. Assists in providing quality patient care by observing patients, charting and reporting changes of patients’ conditions to the physician or nurse practitioner, documenting all patient contact in the medical record, conferring with physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants and assisting in the delivery of the plan for health care with all members of the health team.
3. Expedites patient care by returning phone calls to patients for the physician or nurse practitioner to clarify information or patient instructions or to address patient needs or concerns and following up with the physician or nurse practitioner regarding such calls.
4. Supports the delivery of quality patient care by maintaining physician and nurse practitioner ticklers and referral book per clinic protocol, cleaning exam rooms per policy, assuring physician and nurse practitioner rooms are adequately stocked each day, setting up equipment for medical exams, and assisting with instrument cleaning, wrapping, packaging and sterilization if trained.
5. Provides quality patient care by following Magers Health and Wellness Center Infection Control policy, demonstrating professionalism and awareness of issues of confidentiality and patient safety, demonstrating respect and understanding of the rights of the patient, and performing all duties in compliance with Magers Health and Wellness Center Nursing policies and procedures.
6. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
7. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Nursing Coordinator.
8. Contributes to the overall success of Magers Health and Wellness Center by performing all other duties as assigned.
The L.P.N. works under the general supervision of the Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center, under the direct supervision of the physician, as delegated, and exercises no supervision of others.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017