TITLE Medical Assistant
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 6005
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center
The Medical Assistant learns, assists, and performs duties under the direction of a medical staff member who is licensed by a state regulatory board to prescribe medications and treatments. The Medical Assistant performs duties related to the health and wellness of persons who are ill, injured, or otherwise require assistance in accordance with Magers Health and Wellness Center nursing policy and procedures.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or the equivalency is required.
Experience: Computer experience is required. At least one year of medical office experience is preferred.
Preferred Certifications: Medical Assistant certification from one of the approved certifying bodies: AMT (American Medical Technologist), AAMA (American Association of Medical Assistants), or the NCCT 9 competency examination) is preferred.
Skills: Must have good communication skills and be able to communicate clearly and establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, staff, and the public. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations is required. Ability to safely work with a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is required. Must be able to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and policies. Ability to operate multi-line phone, fax, and computer is required. Skills in assisting in a variety of treatments, medications, taking vital signs, maintaining records, recording test results, and office procedures is preferred. Knowledge of medical practices, care, examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures is preferred. Knowledge of medical equipment, instruments, and safety procedures is preferred. Knowledge of medical office procedures is preferred. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: The ability to lift and carry fifteen to twenty-five pounds and endure extended periods of standing on a daily basis is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides basic patient care for the sick, injured, convalescent, and disabled by gathering patient information and taking vital signs, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and pule oximetry.
2. Assists in providing quality patient care by observing patients, reporting changes of patients’ conditions, documenting all patient contact in the medical record, conferring with medical staff, and assisting in the delivery of the plan for health care with all members of the health team.
3. Expedites patient care by returning phone calls to patients for the medical staff.
4. Supports the delivery of quality patient care by maintaining the electronic health record, cleaning exam rooms per policy, assuring medical staff rooms are adequately stocked each day, setting up equipment for medical exams, and assisting with instrument cleaning, wrapping, packaging, and sterilization, if trained.
5. Provides quality patient care by following Magers Health and Wellness Center Infection Control policy, demonstrating professionalism, assuring compliance with policies and procedures related to confidentiality and patient safety, demonstrating respect and understanding the rights of the patient, and performing all duties in compliance with Magers Health and Wellness Center Nursing Policies and Procedures.
6. Remains fully compliant with privacy, confidentiality, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses and ongoing training, and other opportunities which may be required.
9. Contributes to the overall success of Magers Health and Wellness Center by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Medical Assistant works under the general supervision of the Director, Magers Health and Wellness Center and as assigned and under the direct supervision of the medical staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2022