TITLE Special Assistant to the Head Coach
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5694
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Head Athletics Coach
The Special Assistant to the Head Coach assists and advises the Head Athletics Coach by conducting analysis of game films and players for purposes of program and player development, recruitment, and development of game strategy and special teams. The Special Assistant to the Head Coach will act as a liaison between the athletic program and the university community and the public, fostering an environment to promote well-being and personal growth for the players, and is committed to ensuring adherence to all policies, procedures and regulations required of the program. The Assistant to the Head Coach will supervise graduate assistants and student employees.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least 4 years of experience as a former player, on field coach, or support staff member at an elite level with demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills to enhance interaction with student-athletes, peers, alumni, administrative personnel, and the community is required. An equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered for substitution of educational requirements.
Skills: Strong oral and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills are required. Computer literacy, particularly in word processing and database management are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Occasionally required to lift and carry boxes of materials and equipment weighing twenty-five to fifty pounds.
Other: The scope of the job frequently requires travel and evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, events, seminars and workshops.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Serves as advisor to Head Athletics Coach.
2. Assists the Head Athletics Coach with special projects for the sport program.
3. Conducts analysis for purposes of program and player development.
4. Analyzes film of opponents to contribute to the development of game strategy in coaches’ meetings.
5. Assists with the overall practice and game day preparation, statistical analysis, and video analysis of opposing teams.
6. Serves as the sports program liaison to the equipment department, strength and conditioning, and Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Academic Achievement Center.
7. Assists the head coach with team travel, off-site practices, hotel arrangements and meals.
8. Assists the Head Coach with on campus official and unofficial visits and develops recruiting material.
9. Assists with self-scouting of offensive, defensive, and special team's schemes.
10. Speaks to various campus and community groups on behalf of the program.
11. Attends daily practices and competitions.
12. Supervises graduate assistants and student employees.
13. Assists in fostering an environment that promotes the well-being and personal development of student-athletes.
14. Establishes and maintains effective interactions with the university community, alumni, donors, media, and the public.
15. Demonstrates commitment and ensures adherence to University, Missouri Valley Conference and NCAA policies, procedures, and regulations.
16. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
17. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
18. Contributes to the overall success of the University's intercollegiate athletics program by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Special Assistant to the Head Coach is supervised by the Head Athletics Coach and supervises graduate assistants and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JUNE 2022