TITLE Operations Assistant, Athletics
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5659
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Head Coach
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of Athletics
The Operations Assistant, Athletics provides support and managerial assistance in the implementation of various operational functions of the assigned athletic program. Specific areas of responsibility include coordination of team travel, responding to requests for visiting team accommodations, assisting with fund-raising events, assisting with on-campus recruiting events, splicing game film, coordinating film exchange, coordinating facilities scheduling, and performing game day non-coaching activities.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least two years of experience in responsible positions organizing and managing projects and/or activities is required. Experience in a university setting is preferred.
Skills: Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and computer literacy are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Experience playing or coaching a sport is preferred.
Other: The scope of the position frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities and requires out-of-town travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Helps to ensure well planned and organized road trips by securing transportation, lodging, and meals and working with the opponent’s institution to secure practice time and other on-site facility needs.
2. Coordinates with the athletic facility staff in the scheduling of facilities for practice, game day practice, and out-of-season workouts and works with facility and athletics administration on game day event management.
3. Helps to ensure arrangements for visiting teams are accommodated by responding to requests for hotel accommodations, practice times, and other pertinent information, as required.
4. Helps to ensure the success of special events hosted by Missouri State University Athletics by providing assistance to coaches and the athletics administrative staff for events such as the Missouri Valley Conference championship events, the annual Missouri State University Auction for Intercollegiate Athletics, fundraising tournaments, high school basketball tournaments, annual team banquets, and other selected events.
5. Assists the coaches with the game film exchange program and splicing game film for coaches’ use in practice and game preparation.
6. Abides by and complies with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Missouri Valley Conference rules, academic standards, requirements, and policies of the University, and all guidelines and policies of the Athletics department and reports any concerns of compromise or violation of rules, standards, guidelines or policies to the Director of Athletics or the Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Athletics.
9. Helps to ensure the success of the assigned athletic program by performing all other duties as assigned by the Head Coach and other members of the athletics administration staff.
The Operations Assistant, Athletics is supervised by the Head Coach.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MARCH 2017