TITLE Director, Student-Athlete Development and Community Relations
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5656
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Athletics
The Director, Student-Athlete Development and Community Relations and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer - Athletics develops programs and services designed to facilitate student involvement, enhance the overall student experience, and positively impact student retention and satisfaction. The Director, Student-Athlete Development and Community Relations and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer - Athletics provides leadership, expertise, and vision to cultivate and maintain a consistently inclusive climate that welcomes, embraces, and supports diversity in all forms within the athletics department. The Director, Student-Athlete Development and Community Relations and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer - Athletics oversees diversity and inclusion programming for the athletic department’s student-athletes and staff. The Director, Student-Athlete Development and Community Relations and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer - Athletics collaborates with various University departments and committees to develop plans and practices that support recruitment and retention efforts for underrepresented groups and programming for the athletics community. The Director, Student-Athlete Development and Community Relations and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer - Athletics provides guidance, support, advice, and leadership to high risk student-athletes in support of academic learning and progression through graduation.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least two years of experience in student development, educational leadership, teaching life skills, social work, or a related field is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills are required. Computer literacy, particularly in word processing and database management, is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Designs, develops, and coordinates trainings, programming, and initiatives to develop diversity awareness and multiculturalism that challenges students beyond their comfort zone and facilitates open discussion.
2. Provides programming and facilitation on emerging diversity and inclusion issues throughout the athletics department.
3. Strengthens and builds upon Missouri State’s efforts to cultivate policies, practices, and structure that ensure and inclusive, equitable, and hospitable environment for student athletes, coaches, and staff.
4. Manages and implements athletic department initiatives that advance the department’s diversity and inclusion efforts with a specific focus on meeting the expressed student athlete demands.
5. Works with the Division for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to continually assess campus climate from surveys and reports and develops programs that assess the needs of athletes.
6. Creates and implements a cohesive and comprehensive student-athlete development program that aligns with the athletics department and University vision and balances time demands and programming opportunities across campus.
7. Consults with student-athletes and coaches regarding academic performance and progress towards graduation.
8. Identifies and pursues opportunities for institutional improvements and efficiencies related to diversity and inclusion.
9. Responds promptly and effectively to requests for information and assistance from student-athletes.
10. Develops and distributes marketing materials for programs and events and manages the calendar of events for Diversity and Inclusion.
11. Develops and fosters active relationships with university and local community groups.
12. Directs and oversees all student-athlete community engagement and services and develops, implements, and monitors community outreach programs and service hours of student-athletes and teams.
13. Coordinates various seminars and speakers for student-athletes with emphasis on diversity and inclusion, personal, service, and career development.
14. Manages a database of present and past student-athletes for the purpose of career development and placement.
15. Works with the Career Center and companies on programming and networking opportunities as well as resume writing, internships, and interviewing skills for student-athletes.
16. Assists athletics’ academic counselors in creating individualized plans for student-athletes who are struggling to balance academic demands with other priorities.
17. Assists student-athletes to develop organizational, time management. communication, and problem-solving skills.
18. Serves as a liaison between Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Academic Achievement Center and campus resources, as well as representing the diversity and inclusion area on campus working groups and committees.
19. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
20. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the supervisor.
21. Supports the overall success of the Athletics department by performing other duties as assigned.
The Director, Student-Athlete Development and Community Relations and Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer - Athletics is supervised by the Director of Athletics.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES