TITLE Course Materials Manager
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5594
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of the Bookstore
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for Student Affairs
The Course Materials Manager supervises the purchasing, organization, and sale processes of academic materials in the Bookstore. The Course Materials Manager establishes training for all departmental employees and assists in the accountability of processes during wholesale buy and student buyback sessions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: Two years of experience in purchasing, supervision, customer service and inventory control is required. Textbook sales management experience is preferred.
Skills: Effective communication skills are required. Computer literacy is required; the ability to learn and use the point-of-sale and textbook management computer systems is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: This position occasionally packs and unpacks cartons of textbooks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists in maintaining a profitable Bookstore operation by assuring that the pricing and processing of course material products is accomplished correctly and efficiently, reviewing product receipts, and assisting the Course Material Buyers and Customer Service Manager in establishing Course Material refund policies.
2. Promotes a positive and caring image of the Bookstore for students, parents, and faculty by resolving complaints and assuring that departmental staff provide excellent customer service and assistance in locating course materials within the store.
4. Provides leadership and supervision for staff by monitoring work activity, providing training as needed, creating student work schedules and assignments, and completing performance evaluations.
5. Maintains both in-store and e-commerce booklists by performing updates at appropriate intervals and assists with textbook management system upgrades, releases, and the development of new programs.
6. Assists the management team with the Textbook Reservation program by attending daily meetings, assisting with training, and communicating textbook information from the Course Materials Buyers.
7. Maintains the organization and accurate listing of dead stock titles on a regular basis, coordinates wholesale book buying sessions, monitors wholesaler visits and procedures, and assists the Director of the Bookstore in assuring accurate receipt and processing of wholesale buy funds.
8. Reports departmental markdowns in an accurate and timely manner, including titles sold to wholesalers, titles removed from physical store to e-commerce storage site, and write-offs of no-value titles to be destroyed, creates inventory adjustment codes, and updates reporting methods as directed by the Operations Manager or Internal Audit.
9. Works in coordination with the Director of the Bookstore to support the Textbook Buyback program by monitoring Buyback staff, assisting with remote site set-up and providing cash drawers, and assists with security and proper recording of required cash processes.
10. Manages the wholesale want listing program and ensures subsequent returns are processed according to vendor policies.
11. Supports the overall operation of the Bookstore by serving as a rotational manager for weekend and evening store operations, participating in the annual storewide physical inventory, and working with the Course Materials Buyers to reconcile physical inventory discrepancies of the end-of-semester textbook inventory to the satisfaction of Internal Auditors.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of the Bookstore.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the Bookstore by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Course Materials Manager is supervised by the Director of the Bookstore and supervises the Course Materials Buyers, temporary, and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MARCH 2015