TITLE Business Manager, Bookstore
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5592
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of the Bookstore
The Business Manager, Bookstore develops, implements, monitors to assure compliance, and evaluates cash control policies and accounts payable processes and procedures at all Bookstore locations. The Business Manager, Bookstore reconciles cash funds and makes daily deposits of Bookstore revenue, makes payments to vendors and resolves any billing disputes, and updates financial information accurately and in a timely manner. The Business Manager, Bookstore processes part-time and student payroll and plans and oversees the annual inventory. The Business Manager, Bookstore reports current fiscal year revenues and expenses and recent trends to support the Director and Financial Services in developing the annual budget.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience: A bachelor’s degree or at least four years of a combination of higher education coursework in accounting, bookkeeping, or a related field and experience in a retail accounting position is required. If substituting experience for a degree, at least two years of experience must include physical inventory processes of a retail business in an accounting capacity.
Skills: Inventory control skills are required. Exceptional aptitude in accounting procedures, data entry skills, the ability to operate a 10-key calculator, and proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares the daily deposit of the previous day’s transactions and reconciles Bursar’s Office receipts with the deposit record.
2. Prepares cash drawers and registers for the opening of business and runs end of day processes.
3. Assures that vendors are paid correctly by overseeing the processing of invoices daily for all merchandise received in each location and resolves accounts payable issues.
4. Processes and/or oversees the part-time and student payroll and student employee new hire paperwork.
5. Assures that all bookstore locations follow correct cash handling procedures and reconciles cash balances and credit card transactions to register reports.
6. Reconciles invoices to receiving register reports and resolves any errors.
7. Verifies Financial Services’ records of end of the month accounts payable, holding for credit, and write-offs.
8. Reconciles inventory accounts, monitors and reconciles the semi-annual textbook inventories, and plans and manages the annual inventory of the Bookstore.
9. Works with Internal Audit and Risk Management to prepare information as requested.
10. Prepares weekly sales reports for internal distribution.
11. Provides information on current fiscal year revenues and expenses and recent fiscal year trends to support the development of the annual budget.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of the Bookstore.
14. Helps to assure the overall success of the Bookstore by performing all other duties assigned.
The Business Manager is supervised by the Director of the Bookstore and supervises full and part time employees and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED DECEMBER 2021