TITLE Clothing-Soft Goods Manager
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5590
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of the Bookstore
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for Student Affairs
The Clothing/Soft Goods Manager works with vendors to design and order merchandise such as novelty items and clothing, assures adequate stock and controls inventory, plans promotions, designs displays, oversees the receiving and stocking of merchandise, plans and produces the annual catalog, and assures the provision of excellent customer service by providing training and supervision of employees.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: Two years experience in purchasing, supervision, and inventory control is required. Retail management experience is preferred.
Skills: Effective communication skills are required. Ten-key calculator skills are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift and carry fifty pounds on a regular basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensures an adequate supply of in-demand novelty items and clothing by monitoring fashion trends, working with vendors, determining the marketability of merchandise, purchasing specific items in appropriate quantities, and maintaining accurate inventory control.
2. Ensures that clothing and novelty items are featured within the bookstore by creating attractive in-store displays of merchandise.
3. Enhances departmental operations thus contributing to cooperative relations by ensuring that the novelty and clothing orders bar coding process to identify each garment on the point-of-sale system is maintained and resolving problems regarding incorrect shipments, damaged goods, errors in billing, and returns and credits due from vendors.
4. Ensures that novelty items and apparel are made available to the broadest potential customer base by creating displays and stocking the BearWear Shop in JQH Arena and the stands at Plaster Sports Complex during football season and resolving problems with these satellite apparel locations.
5. Assists in maintaining a profitable University Bookstore operation by assuring that the receiving, pricing, and processing invoices for novelty items and clothing is accomplished correctly and efficiently, reviewing and processing bills for payment, approving all apparel, novelty, and supply expenditures, and developing and maintaining a budget for the general merchandising department, a twelve month sales plan, and projected financials for the upcoming fiscal year.
6. Provides supervision and leadership for staff by monitoring work activity of staff, providing training as needed, scheduling work assignments, and completing performance evaluations.
7. Ensures that the bookstore is able to meet the demands of three graduation exercises annually by ordering and maintaining an inventory of commencement regalia and assisting with the bidding process every four years.
8. Assures that the bookstore offers attractive products in a timely manner for the Bookstore Alumni catalog by planning, selecting, and purchasing clothing and novelty items that appeal to alumni and assuring that orders are processed and shipped in a timely manner.
9. Promotes a positive image of the University Bookstore and creates a caring attitude for students and the general public by resolving customer complaints and assuring that staff provide excellent customer service and help customers with selection decisions and locating merchandise within the store.
10. Helps to reach a larger client base by overseeing the design and production of the Gift Catalog.
11. Assures a seamless and continuous transition of authority in the absence of the Director of the Bookstore by following established policies and guidelines.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Maintains competency in current skills and develops new skills as the job requires by attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of the Bookstore.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the University Bookstore operation by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Clothing/Soft Goods Manager is supervised by the Director of the Bookstore and supervises full-time, part-time, and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MARCH 2013