TITLE Clothing/Soft Goods Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5583
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Clothing/Soft Goods Manager
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director, Bookstore
The Clothing/Soft Goods Specialist fulfills telephone and online catalog orders, handles returns and exchanges, packs and ships orders, performs inventory control, handles special orders, and provides good customer service. The Clothing/Soft Goods Specialist assists with merchandising and customer service in Clothing/Soft Goods department, processes clothing and soft goods invoices, resolves discrepancies, and uses the procurement card to pay invoices. The Clothing/Soft Goods Specialist serves as the Customer Service Manager daily during his or her absence.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required.
Experience: Three years of retail experience is required.
Skills: Effective interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills are required. Organizational ability is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Experience in supervising student workers is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assumes responsibility for fulfilling online and telephone catalog orders by processing orders, returns, and exchanges, selecting the ordered goods, ringing the sales, packaging for shipping, using the electronic shipping system, holding orders for stock to arrive, maintaining stock, performing inventory control, maintaining transaction records, updating the online catalog, and resolving customer services issues.
2. Processes all clothing and soft goods departmental invoices, including entry in the inventory control management system, contacts vendors regarding discrepancies, pays invoices using the procurement card, and forwards remaining invoices to the Operations Manager for payment.
3. Works with the campus community on all special orders, orders samples, assists in product selection for the customer, works with vendors on art and design, monitors progress with the vendor, and invoices the customer.
4. Assists with merchandising the clothing and soft goods area by designing displays, monitoring the back stock inventory, receiving and processing merchandise for sale, and creating purchase orders.
5. Provides customer service and helps to maintain an orderly and attractive sales floor by stocking, folding, sizing, straightening, organizing, condensing, resetting, vacuuming, dusting, mopping, assisting customers with selections and finding merchandise, and answering questions about clothing, gifts, or souvenirs for customers.
6. Obtains return credit from vendors by processing damaged or defective merchandise for return, following-up on status of the credit, packaging and shipping returns, and resolving any problems that may arise.
7. Helps to assure excellent customer service by serving as Customer Service Manager daily in his/her absence and as back-up during peak periods by supervising sales staff, cashier areas, and customer service, remaining knowledgeable about bookstore policies, procedures, and operations, and responding to customer complaints, store emergencies, and disruption of services.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Helps to ensure the success of the Bookstore by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Customer Service Specialist is supervised by the Clothing/Soft Goods Manager and supervises student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017