TITLE Bookstore Shipping and Receiving Supervisor
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5532
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Bookstore Director
The Bookstore Shipping and Receiving Supervisor is responsible for coordinating, supervising, and carrying all receiving and shipping activities, order fulfillment, local deliveries, and warehouse and motor pool maintenance of the University Bookstore.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required; some college is preferred.
Experience: Two years successful experience in stores keeping or related work is required, preferably in a retail environment. Experience processing invoices and updating prices is required. Experience with an electronic point of sale, inventory, and/or shipping system is required.
Skills: Supervisory skills are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: This position supervises the shipping and receiving activities of the Bookstore
and loads, unloads, unpacks, and moves large and heavy cartons of books and
merchandise on a daily basis; items moved can weigh more than fifty pounds.
Other: Occasional evenings and weekend work is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinates and manages the shipping, receiving, order fulfillment, and warehousing activities of the University Bookstore.
2. Ensures an efficient and effective receiving operation by developing and enforcing procedures to receive, unpack, and enter into the inventory-control system all shipments of books, supplies, and other Bookstore merchandise.
3. Assures the accuracy of orders by developing and utilizing procedures for monitoring
the condition, quantity, and pricing of items during the receiving and processing of
shipments and reports discrepancies or other problems to the buyer and the Bookstore
accounting department so they can correct and resolve the issue.
4. Prices books and merchandise according to buyer instructions, prepares these items
for display or storage, and assists with restocking merchandise when stockers are not
5. Ensures a smooth shipping process by establishing and implementing procedures for preparing, processing, and facilitating all outgoing shipments, assisting with the packing of books and other merchandise, and maintaining electronic records in the inventory control system and the shipping system.
6. Processes and charges outgoing shipments on behalf of University departments.
7. Oversees, processes, and fulfills online textbook and merchandise orders to the highest standards of efficiency, timeliness, accuracy, and customer satisfaction and organizes completed orders for in-store pickup or prepares them for shipment to customers.
8. Oversees, prioritizes, and manages all warehouse operations, including organizing and managing backstock, store fixtures, and operational supplies.
9. Oversees maintenance and care of the Bookstore motor pool and coordinates or performs on- or off-campus deliveries requiring a vehicle.
10. Hires, trains, supervises, and schedules student and part-time employees.
11. Supervises staff in safe operating procedures and maintains the orderliness and cleanliness of the receiving storeroom and loading dock areas.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the University Bookstore by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Bookstore Shipping and Receiving Supervisor is supervised by the Bookstore Director and supervises part-time, temporary, and student employees working in the shipping and receiving area.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2020