TITLE Athletics Equipment Stores Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5520
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Director of Athletics
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of Athletics
The Athletics Equipment Stores Specialist performs varied athletics equipment stores work (including issuing, storing, maintaining, and repairing athletics equipment used in intercollegiate athletics), maintenance and laundering of practice and competitive gear, and preparation of athletic venues. The Athletics Equipment Stores Specialist maintains an inventory of equipment and supplies stored in the equipment room and accurate records of equipment issued to authorize persons. The Athletics Equipment Stores Specialist performs preventive maintenance functions on athletics equipment. The Athletics Equipment Stores Specialist presents coaching staff with suggestions of equipment that is needed and should be ordered for their respective sports.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required.
Experience: Two semesters experience as a team manager or student equipment attendant at the college level or one year of experience in stores-keeping, preferably in a recreational or athletics facility, is required.
Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with student-athletes, coaching staff, and other authorized personnel are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Mechanical aptitude in the use of small hand tools, is preferred. Computer proficiency is preferred.
Certification: Must be certified by the American Equipment Managers Association (AEMA) or obtain certification within 12 months of hire.
License: A valid driver's license is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift and transport equipment, furniture, and materials weighing up to 80 pounds. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
Other: Evening and weekend work is required. Must be available to work flexible hours in order to attend on campus athletics events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides essential support for intercollegiate athletics by issuing required individual athletics equipment to student-athletes involved in athletics programs which may involve sizing students for athletics equipment and checking returned equipment for damage or wear and repairing it within the capability to do so.
2. Assures that athletics gear is clean and available for both practice and competition by laundering practice and competitive gear.
3. Assists with event administration by preparing venues as assigned (i.e. the softball field), ensuring equipment is available in assigned venues as required, and setting up various equipment (goals, netting, audio-visual equipment, etc.) as needed.
4. Ensures accountability of athletics equipment by keeping a continuous inventory of all equipment and supplies stored in the respective equipment rooms, maintaining accurate records of equipment issued to student-athletes, athletics staff, and other authorized individuals, sending overdue notices to borrowers who fail to return equipment, submitting grade encumbrances to the records office as appropriate, and advising department administrators when issued equipment isn't returned or replaced.
5. Provides a service to student-athletes, athletics staff, and other authorized individuals utilizing the athletic facilities by assigning lockers, issuing combination locks and clean towels, repairing damaged lockers and locks within the capability to do so or replacing damaged locks, and maintaining the general cleanliness of the locker area.
6. Assists in the preparation for subsequent athletics seasons by preparing a final inventory of equipment in each sport with an accurate status of its condition and any shortages, advising the appropriate personnel regarding the status of equipment, and providing the departmental administrator with purchase order information for athletics equipment and supplies required for subsequent seasons.
7. Assists in the proper accountability of university property and equipment assigned to the department by conducting annual property and equipment inventories of all items assigned to the department.
8. Provides a measure of safety and security for student-athletes, athletics staff personnel, and other authorized individuals utilizing the athletics facilities by monitoring access to the locker room area and enforcing University policies regarding authorized use of the facilities.
9. Reduces the likelihood for damage to equipment assigned to the department by demonstrating the proper use of the equipment which includes operation of electronic scoreboards and other audio/visual equipment utilized by the Athletics Department.
10. Abides by and complies with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Missouri Valley Conference rules, academic standards, requirements, and policies of the University, and all guidelines and policies of the Athletics department and reports any concerns of compromise or violation of rules, standards, guidelines or policies to the Director of Athletics or the Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance.
11. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Athletics Equipment Stores Specialist is supervised by the Associate Director of Athletics.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017