TITLE Senior Human Resources Records Technician
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5405
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant Director of Human Resources, Compensation and Information Management
The Senior Human Resources Records Technician works to ensure the integrity of the information in the employee database and personnel files and compliance with employment laws, regulations, and policies. The Senior Human Resources Records Technician independently organizes the daily work in the Records area, provides troubleshooting assistance with payroll, scanning, and other HR processes, implements complex processes and procedures, and creates written documentation of HR Records procedures and processes. The Senior Human Resources Records Technician evaluates personnel action forms, reviews for compliance, determines the appropriate processing and coding for personnel actions based on the employee classification and various payroll and budget designations, and enters the information into the database. The Senior Human Resources Records Technician informs relevant departments when an employee terminates employment, assists with manual and automated salary increase processes, distributes salary notifications as required, and prepares the consent agenda concerning academic and non-academic personnel actions for the Springfield campus for the Board of Governors approval.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience: A high school diploma or the equivalent and four years of experience administering complex processes or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Experience in human resources or payroll data entry and record keeping is preferred.
Skills: Excellent communication and problem solving skills are required. Must have the ability to organize large volumes of work, work independently, evaluate and determine the correct course of action among many, process, code, and enter large volumes of information with accuracy and attention to detail within payroll deadlines, and make good decisions. A working knowledge of Word and Excel is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: During certain time periods, it may be necessary to work more than forty hours in a week to complete work by payroll deadlines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plans and organizes daily work processes and workflow in the Human Resource Records area by monitoring payroll and board deadlines, beginning and ending of semester work processes, annual events, and ongoing projects, such as imaging and automating various processes.
2. Provides troubleshooting assistance related to payroll processing, scanning, accessing imaged files, and other processes.
3. Works with others in Human Resources, Computer Services, Payroll, and other departments to design and implement automated Human Resource processes.
4. Prepares documentation of Human Resource Records procedures and processes and provides training and assistance to end-users in accessing information.
5. Manages and organizes projects such as manual and automated salary increases and the distribution of salary increase notifications to employees.
6. Utilizes reports and queries to maintain accurate payroll and personnel records.
7. Ensures the accuracy and completeness of information contained in University personnel records and the Human Resource/Payroll database by understanding the nature of the various types of personnel actions and the associated processing implications.
8. Reviews all personnel actions for compliance with various laws, regulations, and policies, codes personnel actions so they can be processed correctly, and creates, maintains, and updates records in the Human Resource/Payroll database for all employees.
9. Creates and maintains personnel files for employees by reviewing, scanning, and indexing employment documents (applications, resumes, transcripts, I-9s, letters of recommendation, etc.) for inclusion in personnel records.
10. Identifies terminating employees, notifies them, their supervisor, and interested departments about returning University property.
11. Provides information to the Board of Governors regarding Springfield campus personnel actions by tracking and compiling personnel actions according to the Board meeting schedule, correctly classifying and organizing personnel actions, and preparing the Human Resources consent agenda.
12. Supports the Office of Human Resources by maintaining the confidentiality of personnel actions, coding position requisitions in the applicant tracking system, and providing guidance and information to individuals with questions about employment actions.
13. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
14. Contributes to the success of the Office of Human Resources by providing information about Human Resources’ policy and procedures, acting as a back-up for other positions as needed, working cooperatively with other departments, and performing all other duties as assigned.
The Senior Human Resource Records Technician is supervised by the Assistant Director of Human Resources, Compensation and Information Management.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2021