TITLE Library Associate III
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5270
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Varies
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, Library Services or associate Dean of Library Services
The Library Associate III provides specialized, in-depth work in support of varied services and operations related to a particular collection, branch library, technical area, or overall Library operations. The Library Associate III interacts extensively with fellow employees, other employees on campus, faculty, and students, interacts with colleagues of other libraries statewide and with library vendors, and may coordinate entire areas of operations with minimal direct supervision.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required. Experience beyond the minimum required by the job may be substituted for the required education.
Experience: Two years of library experience is required.
Skills: A working knowledge of integrated library systems and the ability to learn and use database applications, the administrative business system, enterprise resource planning system, and other systems or applications that may be used within the University or Library is required. The ability to operate and troubleshoot electronic office equipment, computers, and peripherals, maintain moderately complex filing systems and records, and make mathematical calculations is required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to train, supervise, assign work, and review the work of full- and part-time employees and student workers is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Occasional exposure to mold and dust from library materials may occur. The position may require working evening and weekend hours on a regular basis. Hours of work may vary during intersessions and summer sessions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides in-depth support of Library operations and functions, such as working with complex ordering, receipt and processing of materials or providing complex reference assistance.
2. Supports the development and utilization of library information resources by utilizing a variety of on-line Library and other electronic which may include installing and troubleshooting software, training others on software, testing and selecting systems, compiling information and statistics related to major departmental functions, creating reports for internal and external distribution, reconciling financial accounts, and creating financial reports.
3. Ensures the efficient operation of the library by analyzing procedures and developing and recommending new policies and procedures.
4. Works independently to ensure the efficient operation of the library by gathering and organizing required information, maintaining required records, evaluating various approaches to completing projects, developing tools and utilizing available resources to achieve desired outcomes, exercising judgment to make decisions, and assuring effective communication with stakeholders.
5. Facilitates workflow and the efficient use of time and effort by establishing processes, guidelines, and rules related to particular operations or services in the Library.
6. Helps to develop an effective and efficient staff of full and part-time employees and student workers by hiring, training, supervising, scheduling, and evaluating their performance.
7. Assists in responding to weather, fire, and security emergencies by maintaining order, directing evacuation of the library, securing designated areas, and contacting proper authorities.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
10. Contributes to the overall success of Library Services by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Library Associate III is supervised by the designated supervisor and supervises full-or part-time staff and student assistants.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017