TITLE Head, Music and Media
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5255
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Dean of Library Services
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Provost
The Head, Music and Media leads one of the eleven departments of the Missouri State University Libraries and is responsible for collection development, reference, and outreach for the Music and Media collections. The Head, Music and Media provides leadership and support for copy services and microforms collections and services and outreach to student and faculty groups in support of innovative teaching, research, and service.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Masters in Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program or a graduate degree in musicology or a related discipline is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience working in an academic library is required.
Skills: A basic subject background in music, including a working knowledge in reading musical scores is required. Strong leadership skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others are required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to thrive in a complex, changing environment with competing demands are required. The ability to plan, introduce, and manage change is required. A demonstrated commitment to providing quality services to diverse members of the campus and broader communities is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides vision and leadership related to planning, delivering, and assessing the services and resources managed by the department.
2. Works in a team environment to meet the current and future information needs of a growing, diverse, inclusive University community during an era of rapid changes in information technologies, networked computing, and user needs, preferences, and expectations.
3. Manages and deploys human, fiscal, equipment, spatial, and other resources in effective, efficient, and inspired ways.
4. Assures continued excellence in service and support, responsiveness, and effectiveness in support of the teaching, learning, research, and service activities of the University community and region.
5. Focuses and facilitates the ongoing efforts of the Library faculty and staff to explore, assess, and implement new models of information delivery and uses, both by end-users and service providers.
6. Develops and manages collections and information resources that support basic departmental functions.
7. Provides reference services within the department, as well as provide minimal reference assistance for other areas on the lower level of Duane G. Meyer Library, including Maps.
8. Expands and enhances services for online learners, teachers, and researchers.
9. Collaborates effectively with Library faculty, Library staff, Library administration, and other campus constituencies to plan, implement, and assess programs and services.
10. Leads by example in establishing workloads and procedures, delegating responsibility, providing guidance and direction, and monitoring and evaluating performance in accordance with University policies and procedures.
11. Serves on various committees, task forces, and working groups in the Missouri State University Libraries, the University, the community, the region, the state, and the profession.
12. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or other courses required by the Dean of Library Services.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the Missouri State University Libraries by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Head, Music and Media is supervised by the Dean of Library Services and supervises full-time staff and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES