TITLE Circulation/Shelving Supervisor, West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5251
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Head Librarian, West Plains
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean of the College
The Circulation/Shelving Supervisor, West Plains oversees the efficient circulation of library materials at the Service Desk via the automated circulation and book transfer system, assists patrons with circulation, reference, and technical questions, trains and supports extended campus library assistants, and supervises work study students and volunteers.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Two years of college is required with coursework in the discipline related to the position preferred; a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Experience: If the educational preparation is two years of college, three years of directly related work experience is required. If the educational preparation is a bachelor’s degree, two years of directly related experience is required. A major or minor in Library Science or a major in the discipline related the job may be substituted for the required two years of work experience. Supervisory experience is required.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Strong interpersonal skills are required. A working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, online searching, and database software applications is required. Attention to detail is required. Supervisory skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Occasional exposure to mold and dust from library materials may occur. The position may require working evening and weekend hours on a regular basis. Hours of work may vary during intersessions and summer sessions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Administers circulation activities by checking library material in and out, preparing and monitoring overdue, hold, and cancellation notices, collecting fines, applying and removing encumbrances, maintaining the hold shelf, monitoring the availability of items in transit, creating, editing, and maintaining patron records, bar-coding patron cards, creating item records for check out, and preparing circulation, interlibrary loan, and reference statistics.
2. Organizes and maintains the Reserve Collection of books, audiovisuals, and documents as designated by faculty by entering Reserve information in the online circulation system and maintaining access both electronically and in print.
3. Utilizes and maintains the interlibrary loan ordering system for books, documents, audiovisuals, and other materials within the Missouri State Libraries system, the Southwest Missouri Academic Network (SWAN), and the Missouri Bibliographic Information User System (MOBIUS) online catalog and book transfer system by maintaining familiarity with lending policies of other library systems and documenting the return of materials to appropriate libraries.
4. Provides customer service by assisting with reference questions from students and the public, giving tours and orientation to the library, assisting patrons with computer and audiovisual equipment as needed, and demonstrating the use of computer technology and electronic resources, such as the online catalog, databases, and electronic references, to access information.
5. Supports the mission of Garnett Library by maintaining the databases of patrons, overdue files, special collections, and orders for books, articles, and audiovisuals, processing intralibrary-loan audiovisuals and renewing audiovisuals from Meyer Library, booking Garnett Library equipment and audiovisuals for faculty use, booking Garnett Library meeting rooms, maintaining online room scheduling for the building, processing incoming and outgoing MOBIUS, U.S.P.S., and campus mail, answering incoming calls and directing them to the proper resource, stocking library office supplies, preparing office supply purchase requests, troubleshooting and reporting equipment and computer problems, and working with other departments as needed.
6. Supervises work study students and volunteers by coordinating work assignments in order to maintain accessibility of library collections, overseeing the work performed by student workers at the circulation desk, providing book and shelf maintenance, and the processing of incoming journals, state documents, reserves, reference updates, and other materials, scheduling student workers to assure coverage of the library during operating hours, tracking hours worked and the awards, processing time cards, monitoring work performance, and providing training.
7. Trains and supports library personnel at Missouri State University – West Plains extended campus libraries.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
10. Supports the overall operation of Garnett Library by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Circulation/Shelving Supervisor reports to the Head Librarian and provides supervision to work-study students and volunteers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017