TITLE Programmer/Analyst - West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5187
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Coordinator, Information Systems Support
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director, Information Technology Services
The Programmer/Analyst – West Plains creates and maintains computer software and associated documentation. The Programmer/Analyst – West Plains participates in the systems design process and accepts assigned responsibility for projects which may include maintenance, major modifications, or development of systems.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of college courses equivalent to an Associate's degree is required.
Skills: Proficiency in thinking logically and creatively is required. Proficiency in writing program narratives and understanding coding techniques, testing strategies, and application implementation is required. Proficiency in creating and maintaining database queries is required. The ability to maintain confidentiality in regard to information processed, stored, or accessed by the systems is required. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Extended periods of time at a microcomputer workstation are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Complies with requests for programming services by formulating, in conjunction with the requesting user and the Coordinator of Information Systems Support, a general plan for the request.
2. Provides for the maintainability of computer programs by creating program documentation in accordance with established shop standards.
3. Determines the best method for implementing requested changes to existing computing systems by researching and analyzing the requested functions in terms of their effects on current programs.
4. Effectively resolves programming problems by conducting a thorough analysis of the problems and employing appropriate debugging techniques and aids to resolve the problems.
5. Researches, explores, and learns new software development tools to aid the development process.
6. Helps to ensure the success and accuracy of campus application systems by thoroughly testing and extensively reviewing programming changes and newly developed programs or applications.
7. Ensures that security standards are strictly followed when developing, programming, and implementing new or purchased computer information systems and applications.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Information Technology Services.
10. Contributes to the overall success of Information Technology Services by performing all other duties as assigned by the Director, Information Technology Services.
The Programmer/Analyst – West Plains is supervised by the Director, Information Technology Services or the Coordinator, Information Systems Support. The Programmer/Analyst – West Plains exercises no supervision of others.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES