TITLE Cybersecurity Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5182
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Senior Cybersecurity Analyst
The Cybersecurity Specialist operates information security tools, including Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) and vulnerability assessment systems, and collaborates with other University information technology professionals to expand their use. The Cybersecurity Specialist administers access control for the University’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) information system, monitors access controls to assure adherence to University policies, maintains the integrity of the access control process, and adjusts access control rights when personnel changes occur. The Cybersecurity Specialist assists the Information Security Analyst in researching and recommending information technology products and services that can be securely used throughout the University system.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education/Experience: An Associate’s degree and two years of experience in the information technology field is required or an equivalent combination of education and information technology experience (per the Job Family 3 Education and Experience Equivalencies Chart) is required. A Bachelor’s degree, with an emphasis in a computer-related field is preferred. Work experience in a higher education environment is preferred.
Skills: Excellent technical aptitude in the areas of microcomputers and related peripherals is required. A basic understanding of network topologies, file server administration, microcomputer-based application software, and computer-related diagnostic techniques is required. The ability to perform in a problem-solving capacity including the evaluation of crisis and emergency situations is required. Effective verbal and written communication and customer service skills are required. The ability to follow technical instructions is required. The ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Functional knowledge of operating systems and software associated with enterprise computing is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Grants and revokes access to the University’s ERP information systems by using professional judgement and effective communication skills to confirm the validity of the request, gain approval from system owners, and grant access according to define roles.
2. Maintains documentation of access requests and authorizations and rejections to provide an appropriate audit log of activity.
3. Assists with the development and maintenance of information security procedures to govern access control.
4. Operates and monitors information security monitoring tools and escalates issues discovered to the Cybersecurity Analyst.
5. Participates in the development and implementation of an effective information security compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers.
6. Engages and collaborates with other information technology professionals to advance the University’s information security short-term and long-term goals.
7. Ensures the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of University systems and information by application and enforcement of the University’s information security policies.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and the development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Information Security Analyst.
10. Contributes to the overall success of the University by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Cybersecurity Specialist is supervised by the Senior Cybersecurity Analyst and may supervise part-time employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MARCH 2021