TITLE Senior Application Developer
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5160
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Senior Systems Analyst
The Senior Application Developer provides leadership, training, and professional development to Application Developers assigned to their projects. The Senior Application Developer creates and maintains computer programs, program documentation, and operating instructions, performs leadership responsibilities in the development of reusable programming solutions, participates in the systems design process, and frequently assumes responsibility for project maintenance, major modifications, or development of systems.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Skills: Proficiency in creating and maintaining database tables, queries, and procedures is required. Proficiency in logical analysis and thinking creatively is required. The ability to maintain confidentiality in regard to information processed, stored, or accessed by the systems is required. Proficiency in understanding coding techniques, testing strategies, and application implementation is required. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Extended periods of time at a work station is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Complies with requests for programming services by formulating, in conjunction with the requesting user and a systems analyst, a general plan for the request.
2. Assumes responsibility for difficult programming tasks by assuming a leadership role.
3. Provides for the maintainability of computer programs by creating program documentation and operating instructions.
4. Consults on the best method for implementing requested changes to existing computing systems by analyzing the requested alterations in terms of their effects on current programs.
5. Effectively resolves programming problems by conducting a thorough analysis of the system and employing appropriate debugging techniques.
6. Ensures the availability of computer resources by contributing to disaster prevention and recovery efforts caused by events like power outages, hardware failures, etc.
7. Promotes the development of programmers and Application Developers by offering assistance in coding techniques and testing methods as appropriate and by participating in training programs.
8. Contributes to the overall success of the database management system by participating in the development of SQL queries, tables, functions, procedures, packages, and triggers.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by a Senior Systems Analyst.
11. Contributes to the overall success of Computer Services by performing all other duties as assigned by a Senior Systems Analyst.
The Senior Application Developer is supervised by the Senior Systems Analyst. The Senior Application Developer exercises no supervision of others.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2022