TITLE Webmaster-University Advancement
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5135
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Advancement Services
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President University Advancement
The Webmaster oversees the organization, design, and functionality of multiple websites within the units of University Advancement, including the Offices of Development and Alumni Relations, the Missouri State University Alumni Association, and the Missouri State University Foundation and assures accessibility of the websites for all users including consideration for the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Webmaster ensures the coordinated development, communication, and implementation of web projects, policies, and procedures within University Advancement, collaborates with all departments under University Advancement and web users to understand and meet the information needs of alumni and friends of the University, and other users.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least one year of experience in web page design and development is required.
Skills: Must be able to effectively communicate and collaborate with diverse constituencies with varying levels of technical knowledge. Effective interpersonal, organizational and team building skills are required. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. An understanding of HTML, Java scripting, and streaming technologies is preferred. An understanding of accessibility issues related to disabled users is preferred. Work experience in higher education is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assumes responsibility for University Advancement’s websites (including the Offices of Development and Alumni Relations, the Missouri State University Alumni Association and its online community, the Missouri State University Foundation, and University Advancement) by planning, organizing, evaluating, and developing resources, making recommendations for the overall site regarding design, security, upgrades, and technical issues, monitoring the sites and gathering information from the University Advancement units to make refinements based on changing technology, user expectations, and web trends, and assisting with the promotion of the University Advancement websites in key search engines, journals, books, and directories.
2. Creates secure online forms, generates reports, monitors the Foundation’s online giving site, manages access for approved internal users, and serves as representative for the Office of Development and Alumni Relations to the University’s Web Developers’ User Group.
3. Assists in the production of the monthly Alumni E-newsletter by laying out copy and inserting graphics and prepares and formats the online version of the Missouri State Magazine.
4. Helps to assure an informative, accurate, and interesting presence on the web by adhering to University web policies and protocols when necessary, designing and adding new web pages, modifying and updating existing web pages, maintaining current links, and performing other duties related to web development and maintenance.
5. Ensures coordinated implementation of web projects by communicating clearly with departments, attending meetings and representing the interests of University Advancement’s websites, and responding to inquiries.
6. Assures the accessibility of all University Advancement websites to all interested persons regardless of disability and assures compliance with state and federal laws regarding accessibility.
7. Ensures the optimal look, feel, and usability of the sites as well as the consistency and timely availability of pages released to the site by planning and reviewing the navigational user interface design and information site architecture, working collaboratively with programming areas, and understanding the target audience and their information needs.
8. Establishes policies and procedures for University Advancement on web-related issues and processes and ensures compliance with University web policies when necessary.
9. Works with University Advancement departments to establish the architecture and design strategy of University Advancement websites.
10. Promotes a positive and professional image of the department by being knowledgeable about various departmental procedures and policies, appropriately answering questions asked by alumni, donors, faculty, staff, or others doing business with the department, and referring questions or issues beyond the scope of one’s expertise to the appropriate administrator.
11. Cooperates as a member of University Advancement staff by working well with other individuals, most specifically other staff members within the Office of Development and Alumni Relations for purposes relating to departmental web pages and working closely with the University’s Web Strategy and Development staff and Creative Services.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Advancement Services.
14. Contributes to the overall success of University Advancement by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Webmaster is supervised by Director of Advancement Services and may supervise graduate assistants and/or student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017