TITLE Software Support Specialist, West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5133
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Information Technology Services, West Plains
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Chancellor
The Software Support Specialist promotes effective and maximum use of the administrative system software and other campus-wide software packages by providing training, assisting with problem-solving, and acting as liaison between software users and Information Technology Services staff. The Software Support Specialist uses an understanding of both the functional and technical aspects of the administrative system software to guide end-users in the implementation of new or unused features.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of college courses that are equivalent to an Associate’s degree, with an emphasis on technology-related courses, is required.
Experience: At least two years of experience using a major administrative software system and other software packages such as word processing, spreadsheets, reporting software, database packages, email, or presentation software is required. At least one year experience in designing, developing, and presenting short courses on computer-related topics is required. At least one-year experience in creating training documentation is required. Work experience in higher education is preferred. At least two years of experience with the SunGard SCT Banner administrative software system is preferred.
Skills: Must be able to diagnose and resolve problems with software applications independently. Skills in producing training materials and presenting training courses are required. Must be able to manage multiple concurrent projects and work with people possessing differing levels of technical knowledge. Excellent oral presentation and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Acts as first point of contact for inquiries and requests for assistance from users of administrative system software and other software used campus-wide by responding to inquiries and fulfilling help requests and coordinating with other computer support areas to resolve problems when necessary.
2. Ensures that the administrative system software is used to its fullest potential by assisting with the implementation of new or unused features, understanding the function and business processes of the end-user’s department, analyzing current processing and procedures, using technical and functional knowledge of the software to provide advice on the implications of various implementation choices, guiding the department through the implementation, and providing training and consulting services related to packages used by the West Plains campus.
3. Ensures the effective daily operation of administrative system software by using technical and functional knowledge to assist staff and faculty with problem determination and resolution.
4. Prepares and presents short courses on software topics that have a widespread and standard base of use.
5. Provides quality training resource materials by creating user’s guides, documentation, handouts, and web resources that support training offerings.
6. Maintains an up-to-date web site containing the training calendar, training resources, and administrative system software documentation.
7. Assists administrative system software users with identifying and analyzing their reporting needs by researching possible solutions, fulfilling report requests using appropriate reporting tools, and working closely with software users and the IS staff to see that reporting needs are met.
8. Tracks and expedites user requests for software support and custom reports by utilizing help desk software, training other staff members on its use, and building a searchable knowledge base as issues are resolved.
9. Actively participates in planning for the future growth of the campus and the integration of information technology by serving on appropriate committees on the West Plains campus, participating regularly in departmental meetings, coordinating problem resolution with others in the department, suggesting improvements in the support operation, assisting in the development of short- and long-range goals for the department, and evaluating progress toward accomplishment of those goals.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Information Technology Services.
12. Contributes to the overall success of Information Technology Services by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Software Support Specialist is supervised by the Director of Information Technology Services, WP and may supervise student workers or interns.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017