TITLE Internet Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5132
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Provost for Faculty
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Provost
The Internet Specialist oversees the organization, design and functionality of multiple websites for Office of the Provost. The Internet Specialist assures accessibility of the websites for all users including consideration for the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Internet Specialist ensures the coordinated development, communication, and implementation of web projects, media and email communication, and web policies and procedures within Academic Affairs. The Internet Specialist collaborates with all units within Academic Affairs and associated websites of the colleges and departments to understand and meet the information needs of users.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of college courses equivalent to an Associate’s degree in a computer related field is required. An emphasis in an information technology field or a design discipline utilizing state-of-the-art technology is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of experience designing websites that addressed issues of design, architecture, and accessibility is required.
Skills: The ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with diverse constituencies with varying levels of technical knowledge is required. Effective interpersonal, organizational, and team building skills are required. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. A strong understanding of HTML coding, cascading style sheets, and streaming technologies is preferred. An understanding of accessibility issues related to disabled users is preferred.
1. Assumes responsibility for the Office of the Provost’s websites by planning, organizing, evaluating, and developing resources, making recommendations for the overall site regarding design, security, upgrades and technical issues, monitoring the sites and gathering information from users to make refinements based on changing technology and student expectations, researching state-of-the-art web trends, operations and user-centered design strategies and assisting with the promotion of the Provost’s websites in key search engines and relevant printed publications.
2. Ensures coordinated implementation of web projects by communicating clearly with different departments, attending meetings and representing the interests of the Provost’s office, and responding to inquiries.
3. Assures the accessibility of all college websites to all interested persons regardless of disability and compliance with state and federal laws regarding accessibility.
4. Ensures the optimal look, feel, and usability of the sites as well as the consistency and timely availability of pages released to the site by planning and reviewing the navigational user interface design and information site architecture, working collaboratively with programming areas, and understanding the target audience and their information needs.
5. Establishes policies and procedures for the Office of the Provost on web-related issues and processes and ensures that the Office of the Provost is following university web policies.
6. Establishes the architecture and design strategy of the Provost’s websites.
7. Serves as the liaison for the Office of the Provost between all academic departments and Web Strategy and Development.
8. Coordinates the creation and release of media and email communications to faculty from the Office of the Provost.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Associate Provost for Faculty.
11. Contributes to the overall success of the Office of the Provost by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Internet Specialist is supervised by the Associate Provost for Faculty.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017