TITLE CE Online Systems Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5127
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Distance Learning and Instructional Technology
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, College of Continuing Education and the Extended University
The CE Online Systems Specialist provides technical support for the College of Continuing Education and the Extended University by overseeing the technical aspects of development and delivery of internet-based instruction for faculty, staff, and students of the Missouri State University Online Program. Technical aspects include, but are not limited to, software identification, installation, licensing and maintenance, server setup, maintenance and administration, and on-call and after hours duties for student help desk inquiries. The CE Online Systems Specialist functions in a backup role for administrative and technical support of the University-wide Course Management System (CMS). Support for faculty and staff extends to administration and operation of the multimedia production center for distance learning support. The CE Online Systems Specialist is responsible for college-wide computer support for both hardware and software, including server setup, maintenance and administration of college-associated websites, microcomputer support for all staff members within the college, including individual assistance as well as overall inventory of college microcomputers.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of college courses equivalent to an Associate's degree in a computer related field is required, including programming languages such as C, Microsoft Office package, operating systems (any OS associated with MS Windows), and microcomputer utilities, including web-based metric software. Degree emphasis in Information Technology is preferred.
Experience: Experience developing Web pages is required. At least two years of experience using MS Office Suite is required. Experience using programming languages is required. Experience administering and maintaining a file server is required.
Skills: The demonstrated ability to program computer applications using tools such as Java, PERL, Visual Basic, Micro-Assembler, HTML, TCP/IP protocol, and other Web-related development tools is required. A knowledge of multiple desktop operating environments, including all MS Window environments and Apple Macintosh environments, is required. The ability to quickly master and support others in using Course Management Systems (CMS) is required. Must be able to effectively communicate and collaborate with diverse constituencies with varying levels of technical knowledge. Effective interpersonal, organizational, and team building skills are required. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. A working knowledge of the Blackboard CMS is preferred. The ability to perform microcomputer diagnostics is required. A knowledge of computer-based multimedia production resources, including audio, video, CD-ROM and DVD production is preferred. A strong understanding of streaming technologies is preferred. A strong understanding of accessibility issues related to disabled users is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides technical support for the Missouri State University Online Program (internet-based instruction) and backup support for Academic Affairs on the University-wide CMS by managing the file servers of the program, including purchase recommendations, setup, programming, establishing and maintaining faculty and student user accounts.
2. Provides technical assistance to faculty, staff, and administrative personnel related to internet-based instruction (and in a backup role for Academic Affairs on the University-wide CMS) including testing, utilization, and implementation of CMS by working individually with faculty, staff, and administrators in various office locations to provide specific assistance/diagnosis of internet course problems and web development assistance.
3. Provides technical assistance to enrolled and prospective students of the Missouri State University Online Program by operating the Missouri State University Online Help Desk, responding by phone and email questions, posting appropriate information on various websites in support of the Missouri State University Online Program, and providing after-hours responses to Missouri State University Online Help Desk inquires throughout each semester during assigned time periods.
4. Assists in the production of all aspects of the Missouri State University Distance Learning Program by managing and maintaining the multimedia laboratory.
5. Supports the College of Continuing Education and the Extended University by providing microcomputer support for the College and serving as liaison between the College and Computer Services.
6. Carries out duties and responsibilities in a manner which supports teamwork and effective communication with other team members, including a multi-disciplinary faculty who have varying levels of instructional technology skills.
7. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of Distance Learning and Instructional Technology.
8. Contributes to the overall success of the College of Continuing Education and the Extended University by performing all other duties as assigned.
The CE Online Systems Specialist is supervised by the Director of Distance Learning and Instructional Technology and may supervise full and part-time employees, graduate assistants and/or student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES