TITLE Technology Support Specialist-Facilities Management
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5118
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Administrative Coordinator
The Technology Support Specialist-Facilities Management facilitates the effective use of various information management systems and technologies used within the Facilities Management department by providing system administration, technical support, trouble-shooting, process documentation, training, and customer service. The Technology Support Specialist-Facilities Management works with the Administrative Coordinator and other Facilities Management staff to plan future equipment and process needs, coordinates with Computer Services, and assists the Director of Facilities Management in planning and evaluating on-going technology and integration needs. The Technology Support Specialist-Facilities Management maintains web pages, assists with data security, and provides hardware and software support.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education/Experience: A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and the specified experience as outlined in the Job Family 3 Knowledge Equivalencies Chart, https://www.missouristate.edu/human/job-family-3-knowledge-equivalencies-chart.htm. One year of experience installing and supporting a wide range of computer hardware, peripherals, and software is required. Supervisory experience is preferred. Experience working in a help desk or customer service environment is preferred.
Skills: Excellent technical aptitude in the areas of computers and related peripherals is required. A basic understanding of network topologies, file server administration, computer-based application software, and computer-related diagnostic techniques is required. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to maintain confidentiality in regard to information processed, stored, or accessed by the systems is required. The ability to perform in a problem-solving capacity including the evaluation of crisis and emergency situations is required. The ability to work independently, manage multiple concurrent tasks and work with people possessing differing levels of technical knowledge is required. Competency in the use of query and report-writing tools, database applications, and website management is preferred. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift and carry equipment up to 50 pounds, have sufficient mobility to connect cables that may require working under desks or using ladders. Visual acuity sufficient to install and repair computers and peripherals is required.
Other: The scope of the position requires responding to emergencies or other unforeseen situations around-the-clock.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supports the effective operation of Facilities Management systems and technology resources by providing exemplary customer service through problem determination and resolution, and providing related training and documentation.
2.. Assists in developing a long-range plan for replacement of equipment and systems. This includes providing and reviewing specifications, estimates, and quotes.3. Maximizes performance by analyzing and identifying process and workflow tasks that can be streamlined by applying automated information management solutions.
4. Ensures the success of the systems providing services to the various departmental units by maintaining key relationships between the department, outside vendors, and Computer Services. This includes assisting with the coordination of the interface between departmental application and university-wide applications.
5. Evaluates and facilitates new technology resources by understanding the functions of the department, analyzing current processes, advising appropriate alternatives to meet process needs, and assisting with the purchase and implementation of new information systems introduced within the department.
6. Manages and disseminates data via query and report development. Develops and maintains documentation related to systems, custom queries, and other technology resources.7. Develops and maintains departmental and division web pages and web applications.
8. Maintains an understanding of both University security policies and external regulations that govern the disclosure of information and ensures data contained within the Facilities Management information systems are secure by developing and implementing appropriate procedures and protocols to ensure the integrity and security of data, systems, and infrastructure.
9. Provides support services to the Facilities Management departmental staff by installing, configuring, maintaining, and supporting computer-related hardware, operating systems, and application software. May assist with Division technology projects and/or support.10. Ensures that Facilities Management staff is appropriately trained and able to operate the various information management assets as required by providing consultation and in-service training as needed.
11. Participates regularly in meeting with campus User Support Specialists, maintaining communications and discussing issues affecting campus support such as procurement, implementation, problem determination and resolution, training, and the development of computing standards.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Administrative Coordinator.
14. Contributes to the overall success of Facilities Management by performing other duties as assigned by the Administrative Coordinator.
The Technology Support Specialist-Facilities Management is supervised by the Administrative Coordinator and may supervise student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED SEPTEMBER 2021