TITLE Director of Management Information Systems - West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5116
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology
The Director of Management Information Systems-West Plains oversees and participates in the daily operation of Information Systems support services within the Information Technology Services department. The Director of Management Information Systems-West Plains assists the Associate Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology in developing goals, objectives, and measurements of effectiveness conducive to ongoing and enhanced information technology services, including short-term and long-range planning.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An Associate’s degree or an equivalent number of college credit hours are required. A Bachelor’s degree, with an emphasis in a computer-related field is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of five years of experience with academic or administrative computing systems support is required. Demonstrated successful work experience managing information systems’ projects is required. Work experience in a higher education environment is preferred.
Skills: The ability to effectively manage multiple, complex information systems’ projects concurrently is required. Effective interpersonal, customer services, organizational, and team-building skills are required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in writing technical specification documents is required. Strong technical skills and current technical knowledge are required. The ability to maintain confidentiality regarding information processed, stored, or accessed by information technology systems is required. The ability to understand and act upon requests from faculty, staff, and administrators for information systems support is required. The ability to organize and efficiently manage to ensure a successful information support operation is required. The ability to maintain a professional and pleasant rapport with faculty, staff, and students while controlling the overall information systems support operation is required. The ability to work effectively with a variety of constituencies possessing a wide range of technical knowledge is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Some evening, weekend, and night hours may be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES1. Coordinates information system operations by conducting regularly scheduled planning meetings with information systems support staff and other departmental staff as an opportunity to share experiences, discuss issues, and formulate plans and reporting regularly on the status of these activities to the Associate Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology.
2. Manages payroll activities for information systems support staff and ensures the effectiveness of information systems support employees by encouraging professional development, training, and continuous improvement of technical skills, and by conducting regular performance evaluations of information systems support staff.
3. Ensures that Information Technology Services offers quality support to the campus community by participating in the development and review of policies, guidelines, standards, and procedures governing the scope of support offered by the department.
4. Manages the ongoing operation of the administrative databases and the servers on which they reside, maintains data access and security, participates in the analysis, design, development, and documentation of information systems that integrate with the administrative software systems, and provides ongoing support to users through database and software maintenance, troubleshooting, and training.
5. Ensures the success of new information systems by coordinating the implementation of all new systems introduced on campus.
6. Performs programming duties for projects when needed and performs all other duties and responsibilities listed in the Systems/Database Analyst-West Plains job description.
7. Facilitates faculty and staff utilization of the West Plains campus database, associated tools, and other information systems by understanding the functions of the user departments, analyzing current processing and procedures, and advising them on appropriate alternatives in meeting their computing needs.
8. Provides support for information needs by coordinating with software support specialists in designing, developing, and maintaining views and reports for the user community, creating and distributing documentation for utilization of the database, responding to inquiries regarding utilization of the database, and providing advice and assistance as appropriate.
10. Assists in the selection of database tools and products by researching available products and methodologies, making recommendations for purchase, developing bid specifications, evaluating bid responses, and recommending the selection of products that meet the database needs of the University.
11. Works with vendors and other sources to identify and resolve hardware and software problems.
12. Serves as a resource to academic and administrative departments by consulting with users on information systems issues, analyzing their information technology needs, and providing specifications for suggested hardware, software, and networking solutions within the confines of campus-wide standards and available financial resources.
13. Actively participates in planning for the future growth of the campus and the integration of information technology by serving on appropriate committees on the West Plains and Springfield campuses, participating regularly in departmental meetings, coordinating problem resolution with others in the department, suggesting improvements in the support operation, assisting in the development of short- and long-range goals for the department, and evaluating progress toward accomplishment of those goals.
14. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
15. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Associate Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology.
16. Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Associate Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology.
The Director of Management Information Systems-West Plains is supervised by the Associate Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology and supervises Management Information Systems support staff and student assistants.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2023