TITLE Master Control Operator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5087
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Master Control Supervisor
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR General Manager, KSMU and Ozarks Public Television
The Master Control Operator monitors on air and cable broadcast signals, records programs from satellite feeds for later use, sets up and airs programs and program breaks per program log, ingests media from various sources for air or office use, monitors and controls transmitter output, maintains transmitter logs and discrepancy logs, and assists with traffic and on-air promotion.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required. Technical skills training is preferred.
Experience: One year experience in television operations is preferred.
Skills: The ability to follow verbal and written direction is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Adequate vision to discern and read gauges and meters is required. Manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination are required to operate levers, knobs, and dials is required. On an occasional basis, must be able to insert and remove control room rack equipment weighing 50-70 pounds with the help of another employee.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Helps to assure a high quality broadcast by monitoring on air and cable broadcast signals, following the program log to air programs and breaks, monitoring and controlling the transmitter output and resolving any on-air problems which might occur.
2. Provides support for future broadcasts by recording programs from satellite feeds, ingesting media from various sources, and assisting with traffic duties.
3. Helps to assure compliance with applicable regulations and communication with other departments by maintaining transmitter and discrepancy logs, the equipment incident report, the daily report of satellite recordings, and the program log.
4. Assists with on-air station and program promotion through basic editing of promos and interstitial content and performing associated traffic functions.
5. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
6. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Chief Engineer - TV.
7. Helps to ensure the overall success of KOZK by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Master Control Operator is supervised by the Master Control Supervisor.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2019