TITLE Corporate Support Representative and Special Event Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 5085
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Manager, Corporate Support
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of Broadcast Services
The Corporate Support Representative and Special Event Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Manager, Corporate Support in attracting, maintaining, and increasing the underwriting revenues for KSMU radio station and Ozarks Public Television (OPT).
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Two years of college is required, preferably in Electronic Media, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or a related field. A Bachelor’s degree in the above fields is preferred.
Experience: With two years of college, three years of successful sales experience is required. With a bachelor’s degree in the disciplines described above, no experience is required. Sales experience in public broadcasting fundraising is preferred.
Skills: Strong oral and written communication skills are required. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Computer literacy, particularly in use of word processing, is required.
Effort: Must be able to lift and carry materials weighing five to twenty-five pounds.
License: Requires a valid Missouri driver’s license.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Secures financial commitments for programming, thus meeting assigned monthly and annual revenue goals in the form of underwriting from businesses in the Springfield, Branson, Joplin, and West Plains areas by researching potential revenue sources, initiating sales calls, and making oral presentations to business prospects, writing proposals for financial commitments, confirming the underwriting, servicing the sales accounts, and assisting in collecting underwriting commitments.
2. Supports marketing efforts by working with a variety of accounts including advertising agencies, financial and health care institutions, non-profit entities, retail businesses, universities, attorneys, doctors, and manufacturers, developing presentations and strategic marketing plans by providing ratings research analysis and using Arbitron and Nielsen ratings information, writing scripts for both radio and television stations that are FCC-compliant, providing visual ideas and scripting for television announcements, and helping with the development of media kits and packages for marketing.
3. Promotes a positive image of the University and Broadcast Services by assisting in securing business underwriting for special projects, such as community awareness programs, visits by radio and television personalities that serve the community and the listeners of the radio station and viewers of the television station, the Friday Night TV Dinner, Wine and Food Celebration, special local programming on Ozarks Public Television, and Challenge Grants for KSMU fundraisers, securing corporate sponsorships and higher level merchandise donations for auctions and events, assisting with KSMU and OPT membership activities, and maintaining professional contacts within the community in order to increase station visibility, such as working with the Springfield Ad Club.
4. Coordinates the annual Friday Night TV Dinner and Wine and Food Celebration by working closely with the volunteer committee to ensure the success of the events, securing contracts with restaurants, coordinating marketing and promotion for the event, and securing corporate sponsorships and table sales.
5. Assists with the training of graduate assistants and student workers.
6. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Manager, Corporate Support.
7. Contributes to the overall success of Broadcast Services by working on other marketing and development projects as necessary, and performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Corporate Support Representative and Special Event Coordinator is supervised by the Manager, Corporate Support and supervises student interns and employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2008