TITLE Payroll Technician
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 4015
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Payroll Manager
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Chief Financial Officer
The Payroll Technician is responsible for the processing and timely delivery of the semi-monthly payroll. The Payroll Technician uses an understanding of the University’s in-house payroll system to accurately pay University employees while following applicable Internal Revenue code, Internal Revenue regulations, Department of Labor regulations, and Missouri State statutes. The Payroll Technician performs a range of complex duties to ensure the accuracy of payroll calculations, processes the semi-monthly payroll, and maintains and provides detailed information to employees for specific payroll functions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or the equivalent is required. Specialized training beyond the high school level emphasizing payroll, accounting, purchasing, business office procedures, and/or bookkeeping is preferred. Additional years of education beyond high school may be substituted for all or part of the experience requirement in accordance with the Job Family 1 Knowledge Equivalencies Chart.
Experience: At least two years of progressively responsible administrative experience in Payroll or Human Resources or responsible bookkeeping, purchasing, and/or accounting experience is required. Experience with an in-house payroll system for an employer with at least two-hundred fifty employees is preferred.
Skills: Knowledge of payroll and accounting principles, payroll methods, Department of Labor regulations, and federal and state tax regulations is preferred. The ability to learn, apply, and communicate policies, procedures, and regulations relevant to assigned functions is required. The ability to work independently and evaluate and determine the correct course of action among many processes is required. A functional knowledge of Word and Excel and other business-related software programs is required. Strong organizational and time management skills are required. The ability to prioritize work is required. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs full-cycle processing for semi-monthly payrolls using an integrated HRIS/Payroll system, processes manuals, reissues, voids, adjustments, and labor redistributions, and maintains payroll records.
2. Helps to ensure proper payment of wages and salaries by using the in-house payroll system to correctly process salaries and reported hours worked and correctly compute overtime while meeting rigid deadlines.
3. Generates records for the semi-monthly payrolls showing each payee, hours worked for nonexempt employees, wages paid, associated withholdings for retirement, benefits, other contributions, and taxes withheld, maintains payroll records and accounts, and prepares journal entries related to payroll in a timely manner.
4. Reviews Personnel Action Forms for compliance with University policies, creates and updates records in the Human Resources/Payroll database for supplemental payments, and monitors all payments that are paid over multiple pay periods to ensure overpayments do not occur.
5. Provides instruction and guidance to employees regarding the use of payroll-related systems, including entry and approval of timesheets, online access to pay statements, etc., assists employees with problems accessing their timesheet, and contacts employees who have not submitted their timesheet for processing.
6. Audits records, answers or researches payroll-related inquiries from employees, administrators, internal auditors, other agencies, and the public which may be sensitive or confidential in nature, assists departments with applicable forms and processes, compiles and administers retroactive pay, researches payroll discrepancies, and processes payroll exceptions.
7. Reviews and audits time and self-service pay actions for compliance with applicable policies, processes, and practices.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Contributes to the overall success of Financial Services by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned, acting as a back-up for other positions as needed, maintaining high levels of accuracy, maintaining a professional demeanor and appropriate levels of confidentiality, and providing excellent customer service.
The Payroll Technician is supervised by the Payroll Manager.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES