TITLE Document and Report Specialist - Advancement
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 3565
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Advancement Services
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for University Advancement
The Document and Report Specialist - Advancement produces receipts and gift acknowledgements in both hard copy and electronic format by using downloaded data, macros, and mail merge functions in compliance with departmental operations and policies. The Document and Report Specialist – Advancement assists in reviewing the accuracy of the coding and posting of donor gifts. The Document and Report Specialist learns, develops, and uses population selection and reporting capabilities available in Banner to produce reports and provide information as needed.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma is required. Completion of college courses or specialized training beyond the high school level emphasizing accounting, office procedures, or computer applications is preferred.
Experience: Three years of experience in an administrative office using word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, and network functions, including at least one year of documented advanced level use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications is required. Microsoft Office Specialist Certification can be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
Skills: Aptitude in accounting procedures, tested and proven clerical aptitude, and the ability to operate a 10-key calculator are required. A working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software applications is required; must be able to learn, diagnose, and resolve problems with software applications independently. The ability to prioritize, work independently, and plan, execute, and complete a variety of projects is required. Effective writing skills and the ability to analyze materials and synthesize information are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: This position is primarily sedentary. The position requires daily keyboarding and may be extensive at times.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supports Advancement Services and Development staff in the production of receipts and acknowledgements by creating report templates, maintaining knowledge on utilizing downloaded data, developing and utilizing macros to manipulate data, utilizing mail merge functions, and serving as a resource in the use of application software.
2. Helps to assure proper accountability of donor, University, and Foundation funds by reviewing other employee’s data entry and coding for accuracy, including examining checks, securities documents, pledge forms, and other corresponding back-up documents, ensuring that all donor and other monies are credited to the proper entity and correct University account (s), assuring errors are corrected, and distributing back-up for acknowledgment receipts for proper filing and retention.
3. Performs duties and processes related to the electronic imaging of receipts, acknowledgements, and other gift and pledge documents, utilizing the hardware and software that is compatible with Banner.
4. Generates reports and data for offices and departments within University Advancement and across campus through the use of query management tools, advanced spreadsheet and database functions, and manipulation of data downloaded from the advancement database system.
5. Promotes a positive and professional image of the department by being knowledgeable about various departmental procedures and policies, appropriately answering questions asked by alumni, donors, faculty, staff, or others doing business with the department, and referring questions or issues beyond the scope of one’s expertise to the appropriate administrator.
6. Occasionally performs receptionist duties by receiving and greeting visitors and University personnel, directing them to the appropriate office or persons, providing factual information or materials in response to routine inquiries, answering the telephone, taking messages or routing calls according to office procedures utilizing organizational familiarity and necessary discretion, and making appointments as appropriate.
7. Cooperates as a member of the Advancement Services staff by working well with other individuals, most specifically other staff members within the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
8. Provides required or requested documents by operating photocopier equipment and/or standard office machines, collating and assembling printed or copied materials such as reports, bulletins, articles, and manuscripts, and delivering finished materials as directed.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of Advancement Services.
11. Contributes to the overall success of the Advancement Services by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Document and Report Specialist - Advancement is supervised by the Director of Advancement Services and may supervise part-time and/or student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED SEPTEMBER 2017