TITLE Administrative Assistant I
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 3300
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Varies
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Varies
The Administrative Assistant I provides administrative support to managers or supervisors or assists in providing administrative support for the department in conjunction with higher level administrative support positions. The Administrative Assistant I performs administrative support duties as determined by the supervisor and generally works with a limited number of less complex administrative and financial processes. The Administrative Assistant I assists the supervisor or other administrative support personnel with the department’s administrative activities, stores and retrieves information, and may serve as the first point of contact for the department with the public, other departments, students, faculty, and staff.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education/Experience: A high school diploma or the equivalent and two years of general office experience or an equivalent combination of education and general office experience is required.
Skills: Keyboarding skills with speeds are required. A working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications is required. A working knowledge of or the ability to learn and use database applications, the web content management system, the administrative business system or enterprise resource planning system, and other systems or applications that may be used within the University or department is required. The ability to operate and troubleshoot electronic office equipment, computers, and peripherals, maintain moderately complex filing systems and records, and make mathematical calculations is required. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Must be able to train, assign work, and review the work of student workers. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Administrative support positions are primarily sedentary. Administrative support positions require extensive keyboarding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides administrative support to a department by providing reception services, scheduling appointments, meetings, and travel, filing, researching files and records, and preparing and proofreading correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested.
2. Helps the department to achieve its mission by performing processes related with the work of the department.
3. Supports the work of the department by purchasing equipment and supplies, maintaining an inventory of office supplies, and utilizing the appropriate process to pay for goods or services purchased by the department.
4. Helps to organize and conduct departmental events, as directed, by securing space, equipment, food, preparing invitations, announcements, agendas, brochures, and packets, purchasing awards, making travel arrangements and reservations, and assisting with the event as it occurs.
5. Supports the administrative business functions of the department by creating brochures and newsletters, maintaining and updating the departmental website and databases, preparing personnel action forms and position authorizations as directed, verifying and processing student and part-time employee time records, scheduling conference rooms, and maintaining security of equipment, files, and records.
6. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
7. Remains competent and current by attending professional development courses, software training classes, and courses and/or training sessions as directed by the supervisor or required by the University.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Supports the department by performing all other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
The Administrative Assistant I is supervised by the Director or supervisor, may be assigned work by the Administrative Assistant or Specialist II or III, and may supervise student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017