TITLE Clinic Assistant
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 3095
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Clinic Director, Communication Sciences and Disorders
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Head, Communication Sciences and Disorders
The Clinic Assistant coordinates the daily operations of the Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic by scheduling client appointments, preparing and maintaining electronic and paper client files and records on graduate student clock hours, preparing reports, maintaining the Clinic Director’s calendar, assisting in correspondence and contract management, preparing and processing University forms related to personnel and purchasing, monitoring the clinic budget, supervising support staff in managing the clinic operation, and performing other departmental duties.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Experience: At least 3 years of general office experience is required; experience in a health care setting is preferred. Two years of specialized training or education beyond the high school level which emphasized the skills required for the position may be substituted for two of the three years of experience.
Skills: Keyboarding and computer application skills (word processing, spreadsheets, database) are required. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. Must be able to operate electronic, photocopier, and other standard office machines, maintain complex filing systems and records, and make mathematical calculations and budget reconciliations are required. Supervisory skills and the ability to train and/or review the work of others are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: This position requires extensive keyboarding and data entry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinates the daily operation of the clinic by taking requests for service, making client appointments, posting client appointment schedules, verifying third party payor eligibility/coverage, maintaining client clinical records electronically and on paper, and maintaining forms and supplies.
2. Facilitates compliance with accreditation requirements for clinical experiences of students and meets the needs of clients by assisting the Clinic Director in scheduling clients with students and supervisors and maintaining the database of student contact hours, disorders seen, ages of patients, category of service provided, observation hours, and staffings.
3. Assists the Director by processing externship contracts for student experience sites,
maintaining contract information for each site, preparing and maintaining externship site files, and maintaining externship assignment information.
4. Contributes to the efficient operation of the clinic by supervising staff responsible for clinic files, billings, reception duties, and the Materials Center
5. Serves as clerical support for the Clinic Director and clinic by preparing and processing correspondence, making appointments for the Director, ordering supplies, processing University forms, reconciling the clinic budget, assisting students and supervisors, and training and overseeing the work of temporary part time clerical employees and student workers.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
6. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Clinic Director.
7. Helps to ensure the success of the clinic by performing other duties as assigned.
The Clinic Assistant is supervised by the Clinic Director and supervises temporary and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017