TITLE Director, International Business Programs - College of Business
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2657
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Dean, College of Business
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, College of Business
The Director, International Business Programs (IBP) – College of Business (COB) administers, manages, and supports COB International Business Programs initiatives including education abroad exchanges, faculty exchanges, short-term faculty-directed education abroad opportunities, and the General Business completion program at the MSU China campus. The Director, International Business Programs – COB collaborates with COB faculty, department heads, program directors, associate deans, and the dean to strengthen the College’s international curriculum, cultural programming, and extracurricular education opportunities to aid students and faculty in achieving and maintaining cultural competence as part of the public affairs mission.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A master’s degree in business or a related business field is required.
Experience: Two years of professional experience, preferably in leadership or management positions is required. Experience interacting with diverse groups of students, staff, faculty, or external constituents is required. Evidence of success in promoting or marketing programs or services is required. At least one year of experience working with international students and/or programs, including international exchanges is preferred. A record of administrative and/or teaching experience in higher education is preferred. Demonstrated experience developing, implementing, and interpreting policies is preferred.
Skills: Effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills are required. Management, supervisory, organizational, problem-solving, research, and conflict resolution skills are required. The ability to work with diverse cultures and addressing culturally sensitive topics is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: This position transports and sets up recruitment and display materials and media equipment unassisted.
Other: A valid Missouri driver’s license and unexpired passport is required. Availability to attend evening and weekend events is required. Out-of-town, overnight and international travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Oversees all aspects of the COB IBP Office, including international exchange programs, short-term faculty-directed programs, and faculty exchanges, administers the budget, and recruits, selects, trains, and supervises graduate assistants.
2. Assures compliance with university fiscal and Education Abroad policies.
3. Collaborates with COB Marketing, Communications, and External Relations’ staff to develop print and digital marketing, including the IBP website, to promote IBP programs and services.
4. Collaborates with the Office of Education Abroad, Office of China Programs, and International Services to promote education abroad opportunities, faculty exchanges, and other international opportunities.
5. Assists and mentors COB faculty in developing and leading short-term faculty-directed education abroad experiences.
6. Conducts an annual assessment of existing and potential courses for the COB globalization requirement.
7. Promotes both inbound and outbound Magellan faculty exchanges, tracks and manages inbound and outbound participants to maintain Magellan Exchange parity, assists both COB and non-COB students in researching, selecting, and applying for Magellan exchange and other education abroad opportunities, and serves as the primary point-of-contact for Magellan Exchange partner universities for inbound and outbound student inquires, requests, and/or issues.
8. Provides supporting documentation for outbound students’ visa applications and validates and documents transfer credit for returning students.
9. Approve and document fulfillment of the operational/cultural experience for International Business (IB) majors.
10. Collaborates with COB and other department heads to determine and maintain transfer equivalencies.
11. Plans and provides orientation sessions regarding international travel, housing, health, safety and security, and campus policies for outbound COB faculty, teaching assistants, and Springfield campus students traveling to and from the China campus.
12. Recruits, interviews, and participates in the selection of Teaching Assistants for the China Campus and, where applicable, arranges oral English presentation for international students serving as teaching assistants.
13. Performs administrative functions, including scheduling and building China campus business classes in Banner, arranging travel and housing and completing visa applications for traveling personnel, and training personnel on software applications used to support distance-learning courses.
14. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
15. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, maintaining professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
16. Contributes to the overall success of the COB IBP by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director, International Business Programs is supervised by the Associate Dean and supervises graduate assistants and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES