TITLE Director, Marketing, Communications and External Relations - College of Business
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2655
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Dean, College of Business Administration
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Provost
The Director, Marketing, Communication and External Relations develops and manages an annual marketing and communication plan for the College of Business (COB) that includes student recruitment, corporate relations, career fair, alumni relations, special events, and marketing and communication initiatives in support of the COB strategic plan.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: Five years of experience in marketing, branding, and/or public relations is required.
Skills: Exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. A working knowledge of various computer software applications, including word processing and database applications is required. Knowledge and expertise in the use of marketing communications tools, including the use of digital marketing and social media is required. Strong decision-making skills, the ability to prioritize tasks, and the ability to leverage and manage resources, both internal and external, are required. The ability to balance multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines is required. Proven project management skills and the ability to responsibly manage a budget are required. Skill in media relations is required, including the ability to proactively position University experts and news stories with media outlets. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Develops and manages an annual marketing and communication plan for the College of Business (COB) that includes student recruitment, corporate relations, career fair, alumni relations, special events, and marketing and communication initiatives in support of the COB strategic plan.
2. Establishes priorities, makes assignments, and monitors and evaluates results and employee performance.
3. Coordinates and serves as a liaison with COB departments to facilitate student recruitment, corporate relations, career fair, alumni relations, special events, and marketing and communication initiatives.
4. Manages the creation and use of internal and external branding for the College, including print advertising, print marketing materials, video, digital advertising, website, and Glass Hall static displays.
5. Manages internal and external communication including oversight and content creation of Glass Hall digital displays and video wall, Bear Biz Newsletter, and mass communication with current students, corporate recruiters, faculty, staff, and alumni.
6. Promotes a positive image and expands the public’s perception of the College by preparing press releases, managing the COB blog and calendar, serving as the primary point of contact for all media inquiries, and managing COB sponsorship opportunities.
7. Develops and manages COB social media strategy on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to enhance communication with the public as well as specific target groups.
8. Assists COB departments with their projects and events by coordinating advertising and providing resources and expertise related to student recruitment, corporate relations, alumni relations, marketing and promotions, etc.
9. Serves as a member of the COB Leadership Team that sets the direction and strategy for the College.
10. Manages funds by developing, planning, and controlling annual budgets for advertising and promotions, corporate relations, career fair, and recruitment.
11. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Dean.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the College of Business by performing all other essential duties as assigned.
The Director, Marketing, Communication and External Relations - COB is supervised by the Dean of the College of Business and supervises full-time and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2017